My 2 1/2 yr old nephew is still on the bottle!

My brother in law has a 2 1/2 yr old and I noticed something odd.....He's still sucking on a bottle! I asked my husband to have a talk with him about it because I worry it will mess up his teeth but he says it's none of his business! How not? That's your brother and your nephew! I'm friends with my sister in law so-so and I'm wondering if I would be crossing the line if I say something to her. There both very young new parents (21) and have a second child on the way. Their little boy isn't even speaking single words at this point. I feel he is behind on alot of things for his age and I would really like to help. When our 2 year old goes over there to play he speaks alot and drinks out of a toddler cup. They look at him like he's extremly advanced when really thats just where a 2 year old should be at in their development. Not sure how to approach this one or if I even should! Any advice?

JenniFerKroeum

Asked by JenniFerKroeum at 11:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well you could bring it up causally like "Oh won't you be so happy when you don't have to clean all those bottles and nipples any more. I know it was so nice to clean cups for a change. If you ever need helpful tips breaking from the bottle, just let me know" or something like that. If they don't ask for help, I wouldn't push it any more. They know at that point they can ask for help if they need it.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 12:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute and think about how you would feel if they came to you with a concern about how something you were doing was affecting your child's development. Go from there. If you do feel it is your place, try to bring it up casually and non-accusatory, maybe cite an article or expert source. Really although it could affect his dental health, it is probably not the biggest deal in the world and I would not intervene.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:50 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son used a bottle until he was 3. Just at night and with water only. Everyone parents their own way. Leave them alone. You may think you are perfect parents, but they probably find fault with the way you parent too. Let them raise their kids the way they want to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would stay out of it. Raise your children the way you want to and let them do the same. It's not your place to tell someone how to raise their child whether they are family or not.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I say stay out of it, or give them some sippy cups as a gift and say you noticed they didn't have any
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't say anything, all that will do is cause problems between your two families.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Its not really your or your husbands place to tell them how to take care of their child. I understand your concern, as I would be as well, but unless they come to you for advice then I wouldnt say anything.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would say stay out of it... Everyone raise thier child different...
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow...I do not think we are perfect parents by any means. Everyone DOES have their own way of parenting which I understand, I am not saying anything bad about how they raise their child I was just looking for advice on weather or not to say anything!
    JenniFerKroeum

Comment by JenniFerKroeum (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I guess I'm different from most I see, I'm open to any advice people give me when it comes to raising my child. I don't get offended if a friend says something about my parenting skills especially if it's good advice that he can benefit from. Being a parent is a continuous learning experience for us all and the more advice/tips I can get the better!
    JenniFerKroeum

Comment by JenniFerKroeum (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010