how do i teach my child

i have a 4 year old in kindagarden and he has anger issues when he dont get it the first time he throws his paper and wont try no more. the teacher is already worried so how do i get him to stay calm and try and to not give up even at school.

faith86

Asked by faith86 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would try working with him on simpler tasks at first..things you KNOW he will get right and tell him how proud of himself he must be.Its important for you to show how proud you are of him but its even more important for him to learn how to be proud of himself.ANd then gradually move up to little more difficult tasks.
    It sounds like he's really hard on himself and discouraged. My son gets like that too..always has. THe best way I have found to help him was to show him to take things in smaller incremements in order to not feel so overwhelmed...but that comes at a little older of an age to learn how to do that..in the meantime, you'd have to do it for him.
    Good Luck, hope I've helped a little!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think I would consider pulling him out and waiting a year. Most 4-year olds are not ready for such a structured environment. Children need to be allowed to just be children. Lots of years of schooling once they get started. Starting too soon is asking for trouble.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Four is pretty young for kindergarten, maybe enroll him in half day preschool where he can have some time to get used to the school environment before being expected to buckle down. I know it sounds funny, but kindergarten is not what it used to be, a lot of learning new concepts is going on and it sounds like he's just not ready for that quite yet. Good luck.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't have a 4 year old in K. They just aren't emontionally ready. My son is 5 and used to flip out at the drop of a hat. I have been having him close his eyes and take deep breaths to help calm down. It has taken time but it has helped a lot.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree with the others that 4 is too young for kindergarten. They don't have the coping skills yet. However, to actually answer, help him remember other ways to solve his problem, and teach him how to calm himself down when he's frustrated. Make him think "What can I do other than throw my paper?"
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• he has aready completed pre school last year he turns five in a few weeks
    faith86

Comment by faith86 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• he enjoys school just has a problem staying focused he want to give up rather than try and he is very intelligent and educau=tion is important so i belive he is totally ready just need to learn to focus and not have his mind on other things
    faith86

Comment by faith86 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Does he have to go to K? He may not be ready and being home an extra year will benefit him.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010