Why would a 2 1/2 year old just now start waking in the middle of the night, and be frightened to go to sleep.

My son has always been a good sleeper. Now he is waking me up two and three times a night. This wouldn't be so bad, but I have a 3 month old waking me when my toddler isn't. He just started doing this two nights ago.

Overwhelmed28

Asked by Overwhelmed28 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. He could be mimiking the baby's habits.

2. He could have possibly developed Night Terrors. My 2 year old has them, and the Pediatrician told us that he wont grow out of it till around 5-6.

I would observe him and see if there are other habits that he "mimiks". I also have a 9 mo old, and I catch my 2 yr old "mimiking" him for attention.

Or if this becomes to be a habit, I would definitely talk to the Pediatrician.
    ChezMama

Answer by ChezMama at 1:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• For my kids, it was the age. A lot of things can scare them at night, noises, shadows, dreams.
    If he is just saying that he is afraid to go back to bed, ask him why. You'd be surprised that he may tell you. If it happens to monsters or something like it, get a spray bottle fill it with water, put a few drops of your perfume, or dad's, in it. Label it "monster spray". When your son wakes up scared, grab the spray and spray under the bed, in the closet, around the windows and doors in his room. He'll smell the perfume and may feel safe that he can smell that familiar scent. Worked for my kids, hope it works for you!
    daisies7997

Answer by daisies7997 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My daughter does the same thing. Night terrors. Usually when she realizes what is going on she asks me to rub her feet and that puts her back to sleep. she has had them from infantcy. She is getting better about it because it is not every night. But the nights she does do it its a really long night- like you said 2-3 times. She is 3 yrs now.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• 2 yr old terrors its normal they also may thrash and hit in their sleep google it.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 3:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Thanks everyone!
    Overwhelmed28

Answer by Overwhelmed28 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2008