How can you get a 2 yr old to SLEEP IN???? lol

I have tried putting him to bed later, and he gets more than enough outside play to run around. I also make sure hes had enough to eat and drink before bed... He used to go to bed at 7 and sleep in til about 6:30... Now he wakes anywhere from 3:45-5:30 HELP lol Its probably just a phase but any suggestions would help :)

QueenValerie

Asked by QueenValerie at 12:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When he wakes up that early, he is old enough to understand that it isn't time to get up yet. So tell him that, and put him back to bed. Tell him he doesn't have to go back to sleep, but he does have to go back to bed. If he is able to get up and roam around, put a gate across his doorway. It works!!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow..thats early,lol.
    Have you tried putting some soft toys and board books in his crib with him? Maybe when he does wake up, he can occupy himself for a little bit and he will fall back to sleep in a little bit.
    For my daughter, I filled up one of her mini bookbags with her favorite small soft toys,a chunky tonka car and some board books.I watched her on the monitor..because of course, I still woke up, I heard her in there playing,lol...and she took the stuff out of the bag,layed on her back playing with a toy and then she just rolled over and fell back to sleep for like 2 hours!!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm not sure how you can get them to sleep in, but 2 is getting old enough that you can teach them to stay in bed and be quiet until a certain time. We put a clock in our kids room and taught them that they were to stay in bed and keep resting if it were dark out, and if it was light out they had to play quietly in their room until 7 o clock.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yikes...See if my 2 yr old wakes that early I just make her lay with me in the dark and she would sleep till I get up. She occasionally will wake before 6A and thats what I do but mommy does not get up before 7A unless its a work day!!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You can't.

Your 2yo will sleep until fully rested, and all you can do about that is wreck it, not fix it. You can teach sleep disorders, but...well why?

On the other hand, if YOU aren't getting enough sleep and think that the only solution to that is sleeping in, you're in for either considerable frustration, house damage, injured kid or paid help.

It sounds like you've convinced yourself that The Answer is to sleep in later, and to do that you need to get your child to be different. You can't make your kid different (lots of people will tell you otherwise, they're wrong.)

To solve a problem, you first need to figure out which parts of it are the Problem and which parts are Reality. Your child's sleeping is one of the realities. Your sleep deprivation is the Problem. Solve your problem: how ELSE can you get more sleep? Going to bed earlier? Napping? Sleeping closer to the child so night needs are quicker to deal with?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• keep him up til at least 9. maybe he needs more naps during the day if he's falling asleep at 7. and i agree with the post where they said u can tell him that it's still night night time and he has to go back to bed. my son sometimes wakes up at 4 am and only wants my husband, who is trying to get ready for work. but i just put him back in his crib and say ok still night night time and let him cry for a few minutes
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• hes just so active he seems to just hate sleeping and always wants to be playing lol i tell him its too early to get up but yeeeeah thats a lost cause lol and i got to bed at 9 myself so keeping him up too late is crazy... im a single mom that works full time and needs that extra sleep lol no one to take care of him when hes up but me
    QueenValerie

Comment by QueenValerie (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2010