What do you think of all the support the flight attendant is getting?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100811/ap_on_bi_ge/us_flight_attendant_arrest

Prosecutors say the JetBlue flight attendant flipped out over a fight with an agitated traveler Monday, cursing over the intercom before grabbing some beer from the plane's galley and making a grand exit down the emergency slide at Kennedy Airport. He has been charged with felonies but elevated to folk-hero status by thousands who shrugged off allegations that Slater endangered others and praised him for his take-this-job-and-shove-it moment.

Overwhelmingly people said it should have been the passenger who was ejected from the plane," said George Hobica, founder of AirfareWatchdog.com, speaking about response to his site's blog on the incident. "I've never seen such an outpouring of support for a flight attendant."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• While the flight attendant was in the wrong as well, I can understand. When pushed and pushed, people will do things they normally wouldn't do.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I want to add...even in customer service, employees should only be expected to put up with so much. Customers sometimes overstep their boundaries and think that they can treat employees like total crap, and that's completely wrong.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The number one rule in dealing with the public is"People are STUPID" It can get tough to hold back.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I guess I can understand the support and sympathy for others for the flight attendant. I'm sure we've all had those jobs where one day you just can't take it anymore...and I'm sure flight attendants get MORE than their fair share of crap. However, because of past incidents in airplanes and airports, etc. the scene he made was completely unnecessary. People, includng me, are still nervous about flying. And even the smallest situation on an airplane, can cause people to start panicking. He should have quit in a better manner.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I know it's wrong, but I can't help but think this guy is a lot of people's hero. Seriously, when pushed, haven't we all imagined doing something like this? I have. The fact that he snapped and actually did it amazes me. Don't get me wrong, I know he has to be punished, but somehow I don't think he will be bored without his job. I just hope he has a way to support himself since he has legal action against him and now no job.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• how did he endanger anyone? I've always thought it'd be fun to get to use the big slide (without the stress of an emergency, of course). He was assaulted by the passenger, I'm sure that job SUCKS, and I love the fact that he grabbed a couple of beers on his way out.
    I wouldn't say hero, but it's a funny story and the vicarious "take this job and shove it" moment is no doubt what's so many people like about this story.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When I heard the story, I laughed. I did. The visual just cracked me up. No one was in danger, no one got hurt.

As for the support - I have been on planes where the flight attendant was treated so poorly by passengers that I wanted to cry for them. I've also seen flight attendants treat passengers like they were 3 yr olds, and I just wanted to smack them. I don't know whether he deserves the support or not (because I can see the situation unfolding in several ways), but he acted unprofessionally and I wouldn't expect him to handle a crisis situation very well. I hope he finds a new occupation. I don't think he should be brought up on charges though, I think he had just had enough and snapped.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Having flown recently, it is stressful for passengers and attendants. He just reached his limit--the attention (it seems to me) is from a shared frustration. I have an e-book and had it sitting on my lap during take-off and the flight attendant insisted I put it in my bag--she didn't believe me that it was turned off, even after I showed her. I felt all of about three years old! However, I can understand the need for safety and following rules--I complied. I grumbled a bit, but I complied. :)
    The passenger who hit him in the head with her bag should have simply followed the rules and waited until the plane was safely stopped.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I walked away from a table last night because a man was treating his wife badly, cursing at her loudly and calling her stupid. He told me to "get back there right now", and I ignored him for a minute while gathering plates and taking another order so I could compose myself.

They left me ten on 60 and took a survey, so I'm waiting for some backlash, but if I'd stood there any longer I would've lost it.

sometimes you just can't take it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• He got hit in the head...and he's the one being charged...and it's not a small amount of charges, either...

this is amusing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010