what causes heartburn?

Curious to know, I keep getting heartburn but all I had was cantaloupe Juice, I've never heard of that causing heartburn.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 12:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Lots of things! If you are pregnant your body is making a hormone called relaxin that relaxes muscles, including the sphincter between your stomach and esophogus and acid may leak up. If you have galstones you'll get presistant heart burn and midback pain. If you aren't eating enough then you don't have food in your stomach to absorb the acid and it can cause heartburn. Drink pickle juice next time: it will put more acid into your stomach which will trigger your stomach to stop producing acid and will calm down your heart burn. Don't take tums or eat anything dairy (long explanation why, just trust me). Antacids are bad because they will cause your stomach to make more acid and they interfer with digestion. Crackers are good to absorb acid too. Don't drink water when you have heartburn, it'll make it worse. Hope that helps!
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 12:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• citrus, spicy stuff, greasy stuff, chocolate..
    dixie383

Answer by dixie383 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Go to Whole Foods, and get a big bottle of papaya enzyme; it is the best remedy for heartburn!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• citrus, spices... for me anyway
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Spices....
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ok thank you, yeah I hardly ever get it and this is my 4th pregnancy and it's the second one I've had it with.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• you could just have acid reflux my hubby had it even if he didnt eat anything that will cause it he would get heartburn. he went to the doctor and they gave him some medicine and it mde things so much better now he can eat anything and he wont get any heartburn. or if your pregnant you also get it sometimes
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010