my laptop

I have a questioned about a dell laptop inspiron its a windows vista i got it about april 09 and i have to scan it every friday well last friday i was scannin it but i always take for ever to finish the full scan well this time i started scannin it about 2 and finish almost at 8 pm and when i was in 70 percent it liked froze and was not doing nothing so i freaked the fuck up i tried turnin it of nothin happened until the screen went black for about 10 15 minutes until it came back and started workin like it was i finished the scannin ive been using it and it workin normal what could it had been the laptop or the antivirus its mcafee im scared it might happen again this friday i called dell and they told me i have to do idk what to my laptopbut the call was lost. so i dont know.

haileysmommy11

Asked by haileysmommy11 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds to me like you need to clean out the old crap off your computer. The weekly scan is a really good idea and if you are trying to use it while it is scanning, like working or surfing the net, that takes up resources that can slow the scan down. Reschedule the scan to run overnight, like start it at 1am when you would be in bed and that way it won't interfer with you using the computer.

Go into you drive and clear all of your Temporary internet files and cookies. Also, empty your recycle bin. When you delete something, it goes to your recycle bin until you "take out the trash". Doing these things will clear up resources for your computer, make it run faster, and make the scan shorter as there are less files to scan
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• First of all, before you run system scans alway make sure the unit is clean. I don't have Vista but you need to run disk clean up to clear out all the temporary files, recycling bin and the rest of the crap. On my Xp I would do a Disk Clean-up, Check Disk, Registry Cleaner, Defragment, Malwarebytes Scan and then AntiVirus Standard System Scan. This way all the weird stuff is gone all the files are sorted and the system scan should speed up because it's not searching the entire system for broken links and such.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• how do i clean all those off??
    haileysmommy11

Comment by haileysmommy11 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010