• In the Spotlight:

Did you have a hosted bar at your wedding?

How much does it cost (on average) to have a hosted bar for a wedding? I'm sure it depends on the place and the amount of guests but can anyone give me an estimate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yep! It totally varies. It depends on whether or not it's an open bar, if they're working for tips, how long the wedding is, etc.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I had my bar supplied and hosted by the restaurant and I gave them an amount to be the limit and luckily we never hit it. We paid one price for the food and drink so gratuity was included. We cut the costs of beverages by having a bottle of Asti at each table, it was an afternoon Champagne Brunch.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Good lord, no. We had a lot of sailors at our wedding, and to many of them an open bar is an empty bar... I had no interest in paying to get 100 sailors hammered, quite apart from not really wanting 100 hammered sailors at my wedding.

You can expect about half the guests to drink about twice as much as they would pay for, if it's free. So, if you think the average person would need 3 or 4 drinks for a 4 or 5 hour function, then half of them would need 8 or 10, possibly a lot more. To figure out a reasonable budget, figure 5 drinks for every adult, plus tips and taxes and bartender (and possibly server and busboy) wages (if that's not built into the price).

The few people I've known who had hosted bars, it was the single largest budget item of the whole wedding.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Ours was included in the package. It wasn't separated out. It was a price per person, no matter how much they drank.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Drinking and weddings are really just not the best idea. You don't know who's a recovering alcoholic, who's a lush, which cougar is going to attack the best man....It's just a recipe for disaster. Just sayin'.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• for us our bartender was $50 an hour, and we had an open bar and I think we payed a total of $3,500 for the alcohol
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No we didn't it was too expensive.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 12:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010