How to get my home smelling good?!

Okay...my house is whoa clean most times. But it never SMELLS good. DH isn't the biggest fan of candles since they can give him a headache, but I'm thinking something like food scented candles might be okay. I don't really care for fruity scents, I love fall scents. But any candles or sprays or things you just set out on the counter don't leave any scent at all! It's like all my scent experiences are huge fails. So what are some good ways to get fresh lovely fragrances wafting through my home? With candles, is it all about $$? I buy ones from Walmart usually b/c $$ is tight. I know with summer nearing an end that those gorgeous fall scents will be hitting the stores and I want my home to smell good! It is frustrating to clean and clean and then it not even smell nice, you know? I have 2 cats and a toddler, none of which are particularly stinky LOL. Help mommas!

zeppelynn

Asked by zeppelynn at 12:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I agree with DH, candles and stuff like that gives me a horrible headache.

My house smells great when I'm making homemade applesauce!

Mostly, I prefer to use all unscented products and open all my windows wide - I like fresh air scent!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Bath and Body works has these plug ins that smell delicious and they work great and last a long time. They're called Wallflowers.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2831055&cm_re=Top%20Sellers-_-Slot%203-_-Wallflowers%282831055%29&cm_mmc=Google-_-Brand%20Product%20Exact_Wallflowers-_-exact-_-bath%20and%20body%20works%20wallflowers
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• How ofen do you open all your doors and windows and just let the breeze fly threw? Thats what I do. I dont like candles bc of the same reason...all though I do like poeperi (however spelt)
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have a little mini crockpot that is for melting cheese and dip, so I put some water in it and add cinnamon, a couple cloves, a dash of nutmeg and allspice. It simmers and makes my whole house smell fabulous. You can do the same with a little pot on the stove. Just be sure to add water to it so it doesn't scorch. WalMart has a fabulous odor-neutralizing room spray called Hazelnut Creme that smell sooo good and a few spritz in the corners of the room and it lasts for hours!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If scented candles give you (or anyone else) a headache, it doesn't matter if they're fall scents, fruit scents, food scents or florals, the headache will occur.

I actually find 'scented' homes quite revolting --not because I get a headache, but because the scents involved are made out of things I can smell, too. The carriers, the stabilizers, the solutions they're suspended in --they all have subtle scents, too --and often the actual scent has to be made more powerful to overcome the chemical scent underlying it all. Gag.

If you want your home to smell inviting, make cookies, bake bread, cook luscious soups, keep fresh cut flowers, open the windows, grow plants that have their own scent (geraniums and camilia have scented leaves, herbs smell lovely, lavendar is practically impossible to kill except by overwatering...) in and around your house.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I love Yankee Candles. They are more expensive, but the scents are wonderful. Febreeze and Glade make plug-in warmers, I use those in the bathrooms and playrooms - candles everywhere else. I pick nature scents (linen, dune grass, etc.), so my house smells clean rather than perfumy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• steam clean your carpets that helps a lot. or sprinkle baking soda on the carpets wait about 2 hours then vaccum. febreeze really works for the furniture then get some lysol or pine sol some hot water and clean your floors baseboards if you can wipe down your wall with it then do that also.........
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I was going to say the plug-in scented things (we use Febreeze Noticeables and they work really well) but they are more expensive than candles so...

Also, I this carpet powder stuff that you sprinkle on the carpet, let sit, and then vaccuum up. I get it at the 99Cent store and it works pretty good too. Also, spray your upholstery with Febreeze.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• you might want to try to deoderize your carpet if you have it. most smells get trapped in fabrics. you can febreeze your curtains and vanilla is good for smells. they make vanilla powder for carpets. just make sure you don't use too much and you vacuum it up well after the time it says to leave it on the carpet.

i also really like the renuzit crystal elements. they are those little rocks that you can put into any vase or jar. it is pretty strong at first, but i like it.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• if you make your own cleaners you can add essential oils and they will leave behind a lovely scent, grow some windowsill flowers or herbs which have a nice scent, open the windows! it's a beautiful breeezy day here and the smell is lovely
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010