Temper tantrums at 10 months?

For the past 2 weeks or so my 10 month old daughter has been having what I would consider a tantrum when she doesnt get her way. She will plop herself down on the ground and forcefully throw herself backward hitting her poor lil head on the ground. Also if you are holding her and she cant get what she wants she will hit you. Ive been trying to ignore the head banging hoping that if I dont feed into the action that she will stop, but it seems to be getting worse. Im worried that she will hurt herself by banging her head. When it comes to the hitting I am at a loss. I have tried putting her down and firmly telling her "no dont hit mommy" but that just causes her to get angrier and throw herself back and hit her head! Im a first time mom, and im completely out of ideas on how to handle this. Any advice would be great!

SavannasMommy09

Asked by SavannasMommy09 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ohhh yeah. My son started doing that around that age too. He's one now and the head banging still continues. Now he sits forward and bangs his head on the ground if you take something away or don't give him what he wants. I try to ignore the other things...like the fake crying and kicking legs, etc. because a reaction is what she's trying to get from you. But the head banging I can't ignore because he could really hurt himself. I just pick him up and try to distract him with something else. Usually works. As far as the hitting goes, gently pull her hand down and say NO NO very firmly. At 10 months she still isn't sure what you are trying to say, so redirecting her to something else is your best bet. Hang in there... its just a phase!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Try not to say "NO" they will learn it and just keep saying it back to you over and over and over. Tell her "NOT OKAY" in a very firm voice. Do not react when she throws herself down I am sure she is not hurting herself or she would stop. and if for some reason she bangs her head too hard she will have taught herself a lesson. When she pitches a fit just walk away. My oldest tried following me he would stop the fit, run to catch up, then start, then stop, run to catch up, then start, etc (we were at home thankfully) it was funny he did finally stop.
    When she hits, tell her in that firm, don't mess with mom voice " NOT OKAY" then set her down then say "we do not hit !!"and walk away or ignore her for a bit. Eventually she WILL get the message...good luck
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son also started throwing tantrums around 10 months(he's 18 months now), rather than hitting and headbashing he would just scream and stomp. Its just the toddler phase kicking in. Don't let her get what she wants just by throwing a fit, that will most likely make it worse in the future. Try time outs in a highchair, playpen, or crib when she throws a tantrum and don't even look at her. It sounds harsh but it totally worked for us.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree completely. It's hard to do, especially given the head banging, but I would totally ignore the behavior until she calms down, and then super snuggles to reinforce the calm! Show her when she's NOT flipping out you're so excited, and when she does flip out, you don't want to play with her. She'll get the message. . .
    Jennifina

Answer by Jennifina at 12:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When you put her down lay her down so that she can't hit her head. Other then that, just keep doing what you are doing!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010