When to switch from crib to bed????

I am wondering when it should be time to switch my son from a crib to a big boy bed...he doesnt really like sleeping in his crib to much he usually sleeps with us...i think it might be because he doesnt like his crib anymore so i was thinking about going ahead adn switching him to a big boy bed but he is only 14 months old..can someone help me out and tell me your opinions on what i should do or what you did with your little ones???..Thanks!!

JoshysMomma19

Asked by JoshysMomma19 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thats an alright age...on the box of the bed i bought for my daughter it said recommeded age was 15months. and she was around that. it worked out great. she LOVED it. and i loved in the mornings she would wake up happy instead of crying to get out! LOL I did it at that time because I wanted to get her out of the crib bc i was pregnant and needed the crib for the coming baby.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I waited until they could climb out of the crib. Since you co-sleep whenever you think is a good time should be okay.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 12:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I switched mine when they started to walk and climb. When they were doing that safely I changed them. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son is 16 months old and crys in his crib too. He ends up in our bed every night. My only worry is that he wont stay in the bed to sleep then what shut the door so he cannot get out of his room?? lol not sure but I think that age is good.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 12:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• when they can crawl out of the crib. Its no longer safe then. I say your child is old enough
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• That seems very young. I waited until my kids were 2 1/2. It will be easier for him to get into your bed if he doesn't have a crib, so keep that in mind.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• now is a good time!
    tgentosi

Answer by tgentosi at 1:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We're not switching to a toddler bed until our daughter turns 2.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Me too, mompam! I was starting to feel like I'm doing something wrong,lol. My dd is 21/2 ans still sleeps in the crib, she doesn't even want to sleep in a regular bed. She'll play there and all but will not sleep. We're going to be getting her big girl bed for her birthday, the whole room is going to be re done as her present.
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I switched my first at 18 months after the first time he climbed out. My second will be 19 months tomorrow and has been in a toddler bed since 16 months. He was putting his foot over the top rail and I didn't want him to get hurt. I put a baby gate up in his door when he goes down for the night. Then I take it down when I know he's asleep so that he can get on his own in the morning. He is switching from a toddler bed to a twin bed this weekend because he moves so much in his sleep that the toddler bed isn't big enough to work well for him anymore.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 3:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010