Is it true that from age 2 up to 5 children tend to throw tantrums often?

Is having tantrums part of the "normal" process of growing up?

Honestbest

Asked by Honestbest at 12:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on what you mean by often. I'm sure what one mom thinks is often, another one doesn't. Yes, all toddlers throw fits, but some just calm down a lot fashter than others.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• it can be,yes.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Some children will, yes. Mine didn't. I think it has a lot to do with the child's personality and a lot to do with parenting as well.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If they are still having tantrums at the age of 5 they are used to getting their way and just plain spoiled, IMO
    @ and 3 yrs of age is when tantrums happen and need to be nipped in the bud, just ignore them and walk away it is the best cure! They stop throwing tantrums quikly in you don't give into them
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I meant 2 and 3 yrs of age.,....sorry
    wheresthewayout

• None of my kids (3) ever had tantrums.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and almost never had tantrums. Then along came DS. He is 3 now. So far today he threw a tantrum because we are out of orange juice. Sigh. He's good for one a day it seems.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Mine didn't really have a full blown tantrum. My oldest was very stubborn and I had a tough time with her but a little time out and some "lectures" from me would usually work. My other two were pretty cheerful and agreeable. I didn't have to worry when I took them out in public. They were good kids. We were a "quiet household", no loud voices and no huge fights. I think if kids grow up with calm, quiet parents THEY will also be calm and quiet. We made sure that we set good examples. No bad words,either.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My boys are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 and have never had a tantrum. They will have a rough time here and there if they are tired and want something and we say no, but we have never had a full out screaming, crying, kicking, hitting tantrum.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son doesn't kick or hit during a tantrum, he just falls into a puddle on the floor bawling his eyes out and becomes inconsolable.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010