What kind of cough could this be?

My son is 6 months and this is the first time he doesn't sound well. He has a dry cough and a bit of a congested nose at times but no temperature. He seems fussier than usual!
I have been putting a lil bit of vicks on his chest and running the vaporizer for a few minutes every so often. Are these things ok? What does croup sound like?

Monnek

Asked by Monnek at 1:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Kids' Health

• You shouldnt use vics on such a small child..........a humidifier is ok as long as it is not medicated vapor. He may be teething as this can often cause cold like symptoms-look around or feel around in his mouth for little bumps that could be teeth. If you are concerned or his symptoms do not improve-take him to his pediatrician.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• croup is more of a barking sounding cough. With your son being so young I would take him to the pediatrician just because you don't want his lungs to get full of junk, his bodies not really strong enough to cough out a cold on his own. If you don't take him, watch his breathing really carefully, and take him to the ER as soon as he seems like he's having trouble. I'm not trying to scare you but I learned the hard way that colds aren't just colds when it's in the lungs of a young baby.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• it sounds like he just has a cold but if he doesn't get better in a few days I would take him to the pediatrician.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008