Today's technology is making our Kids STUPID!!!

Yes I'm a Mother and my kids are 15 and 10.
Here is my issue. I facebook, MySpace etc....And it just irks me to no end that the kids today cannot spell for shit! (Not to mention a few adults I could name). This age of texting and emailing has everyone shortening up words and talking like thugs. I find it very difficult to converse with people now a days. Is it just Me????? Is anyone else worried that today's Youth will probably NEVER know how to write a proper letter or possibly even spell???

GoJoMom2448

Asked by GoJoMom2448 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is absolutely NOT just you!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• haha I hear you
    tgentosi

Answer by tgentosi at 1:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It is not just you! My 15 year old daughter is the same way...she is completely LOST without her cell phone! When she gets it taken away so is so upset that she can't text anyone! What happened to picking up a phone and actually talking?
    MommaNuney

Answer by MommaNuney at 1:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It's not just you. I'm with you. I get aggravated every time I see our city bus that says "respeKt" on it. No wonder our kids can't spell. Argh.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 1:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You are right on!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't think technology has anything to do with it. My son not only speaks properly, but, he can also form a cohesive sentence with proper grammar and sentence structure. He is also an avid techie. He is a stickler for proper spelling and pronunciation and will correct anyone including his teachers for improper use or spelling of words.So, I don't think we should blame it on technology, but, rather parenting.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think it's more likely making them lazy.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i know my oldest are 10 amd 11 and any word they dont know i make them look it up in a websters......i notice that my spelling and punctuation is going down the drain because of shortened words, texts, and spell check
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It's nice to know that I'm not alone on this one. I'm constantly riding my kids' asses about their spelling. And my 10 yr old can't figure out why I wont get her a cell phone too. WTF? LOL pick up the phone and CALL EACHOTHER........
    GoJoMom2448

Comment by GoJoMom2448 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You are right! Most schools don't even teach grammar anymore. Why? I don't know. All I know, is my son will NOT grow up speaking thug and writing like he's texting. Even some moms on here can't spell or use correct grammar. I was at a children's museum one day, A boy about 8 or 9 says, "I caught these fish." Can you believe his mom "corrected" him and said, "fishes."????
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 1:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010