How long have you waited at a Doctor's office?

OMG, yesterday I had an appoitment to see my family doctor. The appointment was at 12:00, I got there about 7 minutes early...walked in to standing room only. Of course I had my DD5 and DS3 with me. Nightmare. Anyway...we sat in the waiting room for TWO HOURS!!! NO ONE said ANYTHING. Then they bring me into the exam room, small space with 2 kids and leave us in there for another 25 minutes!!! Not the receptionist or assistant that kept walking in and out, not one of the other waiting patients said anything, not one word. My kids were good for about 1.5 hours and then they started to lose it, it was awful, and I don't even blame them. I mean, WTF??? I should have left, but as time kept going by I was more and more invested in staying, kwim? What would you have said or done?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 1:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• 2 to 3 hours has been the longest. IT'S RIDICULOUS!!!!!!
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The last time I saw my former Dr I waited for 2 hours before I left. I purposely scheduled the appointment for right after lunch in the hopes that she wouldn't be running too late, and because it did give me lots of time before I had to pick up my youngest son. Two hours after my appointment time I wasn't even the next person to go in. So I told the nurse/receptionist that I couldn't wait any longer and booked an appointment with a new Dr. I don't mind waiting, especially at the ob/gyn who may be out delivering a baby or checking on a woman in labour, BUT when it's a Dr who doesn't even have hospital priviledges (her choice) and limited office hours, and she still runs over two hours behind - it's too much. With my new Dr, I am often in and out before my original appointment time - without feeling rushed at all. He's also my dh's Dr and always asks about him and about other issues I've come in for. What a change!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• the longest i waited was for like 4 hours the reason i didn't leave is because it was a school check up and if my kids didn't get the check up they would not be able to go to school man that really sucked
    MsPhyllis1985

Answer by MsPhyllis1985 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The longest I've waited was about 3 hrs.
    jat08167

Answer by jat08167 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• For my first appointment with my ob during my second preg, I waited in the waiting room for 1.5 hours, then in the exam room for 45 minutes. The doctor finally came in and told us the baby wasn't viable. What a day...thank goodness we didn't have our son with us.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 25 minutes is nothing really. My longest wait time was about three hours and my daughter was only a week old then. I was NOT a happy Momma!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think when I was 16 I waited at Planned Parenthood for a good 3 hours once lol. But that's to be expected there I suppose. I don't think I've ever waited more than maybe 45 minutes at my regular doctor. At my son's appointments we are usually taken back within 15 minutes but then sit in the exam room FOREVER ( I guess they think we're more comfortable in a small exam room with lots of buttons and wires my 2 year old can't touch rather than out in the big waiting room with all the toys?). Luckily this last one went very quickly!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• about 5 hrs at my daughters neurologist appt... he is such a good neurologist it is well worth the wait.. i know it is a long wait and now i know he takes his time and is theral in his appts i take coloring books..paper pens colors and their hand held games and snacks for my kiddos... and a book for me :)
    SHELL28

Answer by SHELL28 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010