staph infections

my kids and I keep getting staph infections. I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old. We've been dealing with it for months. It comes and goes, and so far, the doctors treatments have been ineffective. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I have had MRSA on three occasions as have three of my children. It's awful and some docs don't realize the strain of staph you have. We have done a pretty good job at preventing it by checking everyone every evening at bathtime for cuts, scrapes, eczema outbreaks, etc and apply neosporin to all affected areas. Hand washing all the time especially after touching noses. Washing linens every three days and never wearing clothing more than once in between laundering.
    It seems like a hassle to be diligent, but spending time in the hospital with a 4yr old on IV antibiotics is very scary.
    IMO, it was the most painful thing I have ever been through. It makes you very weak and tired.
    mama2tqpd

Answer by mama2tqpd at 4:03 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My husband has outbreaks of MRSA, he contracted the CA-MRSA from a gym we used to work-out at. We've been able to keep it to him only by constant hand washing, washing his towels/clothing/pillow cases separately and in hot water. He uses Hibicleanse (sp? it's in a teal container you can get OTC from the pharmacist) to wash with when he gets an outbreak. We also keep the area covered. I do all the cooking, cleaning, bathing of the children, etc when he has an outbreak to lessen the risk of spreading it.

Hope this helps.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• do you use well water?
    Anonymous

• I am dealing with this right now. My 6month old just got a staph infection... we use well water, but not in his bottles only for baths.... what does using well water have to do with it?? ^^^ my son is on a cream and an antibiotic... it seems to be working great... I wash my hands all the time and his clothes are always washed alone. he was started on the meds saturday and was given the shot and it already seems to be clearing up.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• i don't want to scare you, but you need to take this very seriously. i've had mrsa before and almost died from it. i had over a gallon of it in my leg, which caused my muscle to separate from the bone. i couldn't walk for almost four months and it took three surgeries to get all of it out. i also spent 6 days in the hospital with iv antibiotics. staph is not something that should be taken lightly. it can spread very quickly. i would suggest that you keep in touch with your doctor, go to walmart and get some hibiclens (ask the pharmacist to show you where it is). you can use it like a soap or you can make a "hot pack" with it. if you need more info on that, pm me. when you have to touch an infected area, wear gloves and make sure you wash your hands afterward. if you need more info, please pm me.
    sublime7713

Answer by sublime7713 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2008