• In the Spotlight:

How to help my angry little girl.

Ok I know I did a lot fo this myself. I am a yeller and I will be the first one to admit it is a problem for me. BUt my DD will be 3 in Nov and she has become very angry the past few months. OK her father is now in jail so I know my little daddys girl misses her daddy. I know that it is a main problem. I know she yells because I do and I am trying my best to stop it. I grew up in a house of yellers so it is well all I know and I want to break the cycle. I know that things have been hard for my little girl in her short years and I do blame myself for a lot of it but I know there is enough time to change things, I just need help. PLEASE NO BASHIN I REALLY HAVE LIKE BEEN CRYING ON AND OFF SINCE 8 AM!

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• First, stop crying. You've identified the problem and you're looking for solutions. It'll be ok. She'll get better as you get better - the more you can model good behavior and good problem solving responses (instead of yelling), the more she'll be able to do the same. Hang in there!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thank you alice, I just feel like it is all my fault and it could have been so easily avoided! Thank you again soo much!
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The best thing is that you see a problem and see she has an issue..very good right there! because so many parents think their chit don't stink no matter how they are and they just smack around or ignore their angry kid. So good for you for stepping up, now the next idea is something I hope many communties still have and it is parents anon. groups I guess the best way to find out about them is to Google the words parents anon groups and your zipcode. these groups help so many people out there. Also you could google anger managment and your zipcode. you cannot sovle all this on your own and should not have to...find a group or a therapist that can help you and by helping yourself you can have better tools to help your daughter. It will get better in time and with some learning how to do things different, Good Luck
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• wheres, thank you SO MUCH! Your words were very kind! I will look into the parents anon sounds like a great program! I really do want the best for my baby. I know that she is sad right now and can't express it. She misses her dad and I know that. Today has been really hard! Since 8 am she's been going crazy. She is so loving though and kind. Truely kind! Again thank you! I will look into that and anger managment I have needed since birth myself lol.
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Sometimes I see behaviors in my 6 year old that I myself need to work on. And when that happens, I am completely honest with her that is not acceptable for EITHER of us. So we help each other. 3 is plenty old enough to understand helping people and that yelling is not ok. So maybe the two of you could work on it together. I agree with a previous poster that says as you get better so will your little girl. I wish you good luck. It takes work but it really sounds like you're willing to do that.
    lilsma

Answer by lilsma at 1:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• LIL I am very willing. LIke just now she was in my room and would not answer me and I got scared. I didn't know where she was when i was calling her. I yelled and she answered sadly. I said I was sorry for yelling but I got scared. I found her under my covers in my room lol.
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• you are okay! The steps to take are to show her thru example that kind quiet wods are the best answer! She will pick it up! Youre a good mommy for trying to solve the problem <3
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thank you Jo!
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010