Birth Certificate

I haven't gotten my son's birth certificate yet (he's 4 months). What do I have to bring to get it. I live in New Jersey if that helps.

muffinpie03

Asked by muffinpie03 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• go to your staes website and find Bureau of Vital Statisics.. there should be a form to order online or download and send in to get a ccertified copy of the birth certificate. Costs vary by state.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/
    GrnEyedGrandma

• i'd call the board of vital statistics..actually that is what i did cuz they never sent me my daughters either..they ended up having it in the office so i didn't have to pay for it..but yea..u should definately call..it'll be quicker then sending an e-mail and you'll be able to talk to a live person.
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 2:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Go to the health department where he was born and bring your driver's license. Don't go to those websites unless you can't go to the HD they charge a lot more than the HD.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You may have to go pick it up in person. I'm not in NJ so I don't know if your state changed it's laws but CA stopped mailing them because too many were being stolen from mailboxes and used for ID theft.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Did you buy one? They dont just automatically send you one just because you filled out the info on his birth. You have to pay for it.
    Anonymous

• I WOULD CALL THE HOSPITAL YOU HAD YOUR CHILD AT AND ASK THEM WHERE THE BIRTH CERTIFICATES ARE LOCATED FOR YOUR AREA. THEY WILL BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU THE NUMBER AND LOCATION. I HAD TO PAY $10 FOR MY DAUGHTER'S, BUT THAT WAS BECAUSE I WANTED AND EXTRA COPY. I HAVE 2 AND KEEP THEM STORES IN DIFFERENT PLACES IN CASE SOMETING HAPPENS TO ONE OF THEM. THEY USUALLY DONT SEND THEM IN THE MAIL. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. OH YOU NEED SOME KIND OF PICTURE ID AT LEAST, NOT SURE IF YOU NEED MORE.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 2:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Don't waste your money on a certificate of live birth. You want a Certiufied Copy of the Birth Certificate. It makes a difference. COL's are NOT legal documents..Certified copies are legal documents. Most states are between 10-20 dollars each. Itis the same price if you make sure you go to your STATES website...not 'affilliates'
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008