Do you think if a person explained to a bus driver that she has a job interview on the bus route but no money to pay the bus fare?

that the driver would allow that person to ride free? My cousin just called me and asked me that question. I said if I was the bus driver I would but I really don't know. Worth a try though, what do you think?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 1:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, they would not be allowed to ride. At least here in Portland I know they would not.

If she can not borrow fare from someone.. Have her contact a workforce center, the unemployment office, job training centers and the like. Many times they have bus tickets that are donated to give to clients to help them in their job search & for when the first start working to help them out.. Also some shelters and other organizations that help the "needy" may also have some.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Company policy usually dictates that the person not be allowed to ride. Perhaps if someone stepped forward to pay for that person.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• bus lines need fares in order to operate.. if they gave free rides to everyone with a story, then they would go out of business
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The bus driver might let her drive free but they arent obligated to ...and they may even be putting thier own job at risk by giving away free rides. :(
    Sucks that she's that broke and really needs to get to this interview.
    But if she puts all her effort into trying to get a free ride from a bus and doesnt try to figure out an alternative plan and she doesnt get that free ride, she's gonna be screwed on that interview.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I dont think so....then everyone would be using that as a way to ride free or some similar excuse. its one of those all or nothing kinda things. You let one person ride for free you gotta let everyone ride for free. besides you know how PO i would be if i was on that bus, had already paid and heard that this person is riding for free, and i had to scrape and save just to ride that bus. yea it wouldnt be pretty.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I believe she's all borrowed out. If she lived in the same state as me or had given more than a day's notice of course I would have helped her out but that's not the case.
    benjamink

Comment by benjamink (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I doubt it. I'm sure they hear many reasons as to why people can't afford fare.

Plus, even if they allowed her on, there's no guarantee that they would allow her back.
    Jupitery

Answer by Jupitery at 1:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No, but many cities offer free fares on hot days to encourage green living, so you could check and see if that's going on.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No, they wouldn't. Unless the bus driver paid for the fare himself.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't think they would, I mean she could try - but I'm sure the bus lines have a policy about that. (They would have to allow anyone with that same story to ride free, or else face getting sued for discrimination.)She may get lucky and someone on the bus may pay her fare for her.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010