Baking Soda as a meat tenderizer?

I've heard/read that this is the method that Chinese restrurants use to tenderize meat. Is this true? If so, has anyone done it? What is the secret formula?

viking95

Asked by viking95 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You can do it (1/2 tsp to 1/2 cup of marinade), but you have to be really careful not to leave it too long or it will turn to mush. There are lots of other options too, that don't add so much sodium. Pineapple juice and papaya juice both tenderize. Marinades with an acid base (lemon, vinegar, white wine, soy sauce) work well and add flavor. There's also powdered enzyme based tenderizers at the store.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I haven't heard of using baking soda for that, a really good, free recipe website is www.allrecipes.com
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It can be used..BUT it adds a TON of sodium to your meat. There are much better options
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Maybe that's why they say chinese food isn't that great for you?? I've never heard of that, I like good old plain meat tenderizer and a tenderizing mallet myself!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• that doesnt sound very tasty.. they make these tenderizers now that are a bunch of little nails/needle looking things that you stamp down into the meat.. looks like they work great.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Jespeach - How long is long enough?
    viking95

Answer by viking95 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2008