If I bought a used cell phone can I use my sim card?

I currently have AT&T, but a relative sold me their used T-mobile phone. Can I put my sim card in the phone and have it work? maybe I should message AT&T... But if anyone knows, thanks!

TinaLord68

Asked by TinaLord68 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• It depends on the phone. Some are set up with specific networks and some can be unlocked and used with any network. Although most companies charge you to do that.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It depends on the kind of phone, but usually not. The software on each is locked for their systems only and needs to be "unlocked".
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It will probably work but all the features that would be available to the network the phone is actually made for won't be accessible.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 1:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Not unless it is an unlocked phone. Other network phones will not "just" work with AT & T. If you need a cheap phone for AT & T, I suggest you just buy a Go Phone. They work as a normal phone by just inserting your SIM card too. (A default of AT & T, but nonetheless a good one).
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I will help you
    puppychellam

Answer by puppychellam at 3:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Yes,you will be able to use it.Before put your AT&T sim card,Make sure your T-mobile locked phone is unlocked.If it's locked means,you will need to unlock it.For unlocking visit Prounlocking.com  Here you can unlock your phone at low cost.Once unlock your phone,you will change your carrier when you need.

puppychellam

Answer by puppychellam at 3:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2013