Do you think the state of NJ should be ashamed?

I do.

"All Camden NJ's libraries will be gone at the end of the year.

The library system, which first opened its doors in 1904, could end up destroying all of it 187,000 books because the city losing the state funding that allowed the libraries to remain open in the past. This is in spite of the fact that the current recession has made libraries more popular with citizens seeking relatively inexpensive entertainment options. The president of the New York City library system notes that attendance is higher now than in the last fifty years.

As cities struggle to absorb budget shortfalls passed on to them by their states, citizens are being left with fewer and fewer services.

The loss of libraries is more than just books. Libraries are vital pillars of community. Can our cities and towns exist as mere collections of houses and strip malls once their schools and libraries are shuttered?"

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Just to make sure this is noticed:

The president of the New York City library system notes that attendance is higher now than in the last fifty years.

But we still don't have the money to keep them open???  WTH is wrong with us?

beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think that it's time for citizens to realize that they can't have both decreased taxes and increased/maintained services.
    I hope that private foundations will step in and save the libraries in their communities.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Attendance at libraries does not generate funds. Libraries are generally free to use. This just means that the demand is high.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Maybe the citizens should get to gether and try to raise funding.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• That is disgusting!!! They can't destroy books! They should not close Libraries!!! What is wrong withthem??? See,this is why I gey angry whever people scream that we need TAX CUTS. No,we don't. We need intelligent people in the USA, and Libraries help us all learn from the time we first learn to READ!!! OMG, this makes me angry !
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• As long as the Parks and Recreation Agency stays open. I don't care about the libraries.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 1:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• They will destroy the books??!!!??? Geez what a pointless thing to do. Sell the books if you are going to close the libraries down or donate them to schools. Destroying literature is such a mindless and pointless act.

Closing libraries down is just ridiculous to me personally. Libraries are an in important part of a city/county, they provide so much to the citizens: from entertainment, to educational resources, to community classes and gatherings. I love the library, I can't imagine not having one or not going to one. My county has about 20 library branches. Each serves a specific area, each serves a community need. I'm fortunate enough to live just a few blocks from the Central branch (4 stories high, an entire city block wide. Once city block, nothing but Library.. it's a marvelous thing.. lol).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The Camden County library system will be taking over the City of Camden's libraries, so the city will not be without libraries. But I do agree that libraries need MORE funding when the economy is bad, because people need them more.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Honestbest, how could you NOT CARE about Libraries? Do you really think recreation will help raise the intelligence of the general population and promote higher learning for all? No....I don't think so.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Right on Gertie!!!!

Reading is fundemental damn it!!!

For a country to succeed, for it to be prosperous, for it to progress, for it citizenry to be active in regards to it's government & it's community. The populous must be educated!!!!! Libraries are a fundemental part of the education food chain.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2010