PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU FOR HELP POTTY TRAINING MY 3YR OLD

My son is 3 he is almost the size (height & weight) of an average 5 yr old!!! His dad was built the same way, but that is not the point. I have been trying to potty train him for a year! He is very intelligent he can work computers and gaming systems he can read and somewhat write has a large vocabulary and FANTASTIC memory. He can do many things his doctor says he shouldn't do until he is much older BUT HE WON'T PEE OR POOP ON THE POTTY!!!! I HAVE TRIED REWARDS, PUNISHMENT, BRIBES, SAT HIM ON THE TOILET FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME, I HAVE TRIED SHORT PERIODS OF TIME AND MORE FREQUENTLY. I HAVE TRIED PULL UPS, I HAVE TRIED UNDIES I HAVE EVEN TRIED PLASTIC UNDIES AND NOTHING PHASES HIM!!! He dead weights me so I can't pick him up (I'm pregnant and he is more than my approved lifting weight) Please help!!

IamATeenMom307

Asked by IamATeenMom307 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son was stubborn with starting Potty Training too. First, I put him in "big boy underwear" and told him that if he peed or pooped in them, he would have to go back to a Pull Up for the day. That did help some. But what helped him more than anything, and this sounds crazy, was his Daddy had him outside, and told him to pee on the barn (write his name, lol). He tried, and then he loved to "write" in the dirt. So, like forever, he would pee outside (thank god we lived in the middle of nowhere, lol). But, the point is, it worked!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• get him his own potty and when he goes why don't you try going on the regular potty with him. or tell dad too. Let him see the results and when you go tell him "listen, you can go too"..tell him how to push.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son would hold in pee because he was too busy playing with his computer. I would suggest to get rid of any distraction that would make him forget that he has to go to the bathroom. You could set up an schedule for your child to use his favorite electronics, perhaps he could use them after before dinner only.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 1:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughter was that way too. I took away most of her toys and left about 5-10. Than when she peed or poohed in her pants I took a toy away until she had no toys. First day with no toys she didn't care. 2nd day she was crying and fussying and mad. 3rd day she gave in and went on the toilet and I gave her 1 toy back. So later she went again. We did this for about 2 weeks of every time she went in her pants we would tell her to bring us a toy. Or if she pooped we would take 2 or 3 toys. After the 2 weeks she was completely potty trained. Like your son NOTHING else worked and I tried EVERYTHING.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 1:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Stop trying. He will potty train when he is ready. My son was the same way. I stopped mentioning the potty at all. after about a month of not mentioning the potty, he asked to use it. And was completely potty trained in less than a week. I did nothing except for take his diapers off when he needed help. Just be patient and don't push the issue.
    ChantiKay

Answer by ChantiKay at 1:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• honestly sis.. just leave him.. don't p ush him anymore. i tried potty training my daughter months ago.. but one day she just started going on her own. he might be traumatized by the whole thing by now. try looking into cartoons or videos about going potty. that might help
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• he maybe doing what gets him attention. It might help to ignore it. Does he go to preschool? Seeing the other children his age going might help him. Your pregnancy could be threatening to his position.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My was this way. My husband and I backed off for for a month. We never even talked about it. He came to us and said he was ready to use the potty. 2weeks later...he was fully potty trained. I did this on the advice of his dr.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• What kind of potty are you using? I know my son (34 months old) didn't want to use the potty when it was one of the little ones on the floor but he loved using the potty at a store so we switched to the toilet seats and now he is using it much more. Also, his dad is teaching him to pee standing up and he likes to make the bubbles when he pees or try to sink the apple jacks (or what ever stale cereal we have). I mean this change happend like overnight. One day I'm about to cry because he has pooed or peed in his 10th pair of big boy undies and the next day he is going on the big boy potty like a pro even though he still doesn't tell me when he has to go potty.

How far along are you? could some of his reluctance be because of the new baby? If that is the case then wait until a couple months after the baby is born before you try to potty train again.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2010