how hard should i push my kindergarten daughter to read over the summer?

i'd like her to take a few minutes each day and read with me - but she prefers to run off and play. how to handle?

fourkidssoon

Asked by fourkidssoon at 1:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do it closer to bed time when she is more chill and relax. Try a library group and maybe something else out in the community as well.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son is going into Kindergarten and he refuses to do anything, even write, I'm at my wits end with him...But the reading part I get in when we are driving. I have him read signs and at the stores I have him read sale signs or the words off boxes. I also use shopping to teach him about numbers and price tags, just to throw a little math in there.
    But once we are at home all desire to learn is out the window! maybe i can get him to write by signing my name to debit card receipts, lol, Yeah the only learning he will do is when he doesn't know he is being taught.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes reading labels and signs is a great way. The is also this reading program called " the reading journey" by broaderbound software that is in the same format a lot of schools use. Also playing the age old mailman is a fun way to practice reading,writing & social skills. My son when hewas k age made a museum in our living room/hallway w things from his room & labeled them like in a real museum. You can also cut the labels off cereal / food boxes of items ur family uses most often & put them on a keyring fir your child to have their own shopping list! most of all Have fun
    stuswf

Answer by stuswf at 1:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yeah, don't PUSH. Reading together at bedtime is a natural place to read. She is enjoying summer vacation...don't push.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Don't push, nudge. Read things together as you see them: signs, labels, etc . . . as stuswf said. Then, have her pick a book at bed time and read again.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• is she going into 1st grade? My son when he finished kindner I made him read those little phonic book 2-4 a day during the summer. It took no more than 15min and he could handle that! Sometimes he complained but he struggled to read so he needed to keep up his skills. In the end we boosted his reading so it was worth it. I also read to him at bedtime.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Why the rush? She will learn to read when she is ready.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Hello moms!!! I need help with my stepson. I've been working with him since May with his manners and education. This is the situation... His grandmother was taking care of him because my husband was working in San Diego and many times on overseas, he is in the navy. And my mother in law didn't educate him well. She treats him like a baby and even the teacher told me that when I started picking him up at school. He has problems with math and reading and I don't want to push him to much since I just entered in his life. It's kind of hard. He doesn't have discipline at all! He does whatever he wants and he lies a lot! I don't spank him, I really don't believe in that kind of procedure. He is only 6 1/2 years old. I love him and He deserves the best. But the way they took care of him it's just make me sad. I want him to become a good man. What kind of help should I reach? Or maybe a club for him?
    Ana_Portillo

Answer by Ana_Portillo at 5:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2010