Any advice on how to get a 2 1/2 year old boy to potty train?

I have a 2 1/2 year old son that know when he wants his diaper changed but does not want to potty train.

callie00

Asked by callie00 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What have you tried so far?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Boys develop bathroom skills later then girls. It is medically impossible for them to catch on to it until they r between 3 and 4 years old. Don't push it will happen. If u want to talk u can message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree boys are just not ready at 2 1/2 they take a little longer to learn everything....for me it happend right after he turned three. I put him in a half day headstart program where they accepted kids learning to potty train. Once he saw the other kids using the kid restrooms that was all it took. Good Luck
    Deelopez

Answer by Deelopez at 2:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thank you so much! I guess patience will be the key!
    callie00

Comment by callie00 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son potty trained right after he turned 3. We let him decide and he fully trained in 2 weeks.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I was having an awful time trying to potty train my not quite 3 year old. We tried pull ups, bought potty seats, read potty training story books, watched potty time dvds, gave rewards. . . nothing seemed to work. I even used "big boy" undies and plastic pants during the day so he would feel wet and that didn't seem to stop him. Then it was like a light bulb went off in his head. We stopped using the small potties and used the seat trainers (the ones that go on the grown up toilet and sizes them down for smaller backsides). He still doesn't tell me when he has to use the bathroom but he uses it just fine if I ask him. He has gone 4 days in a row without a poo poo accident and only a couple minor pee pee accidents. When he does go I make a big deal about it (sing a song I made up and dance a bit or let him call a fav g-ma) I even use a dry erase marker to keep track on the mirror of our success. Good luck and be consistant
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I started a sticker chart that he could add stickers to every time he went and he got a reward for going #2. Now he goes #2 all of the time but will not potty all of the time!! UGH!!! Patience is the key, I guess!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2010