at what age can kids stay home alone over night?

my neighbors DH went last night 10pm to open heart surgery and of course the wife is with him. I am not sure when he is getting home. It is almost 2pm here and she has his kids over there (a prievious marriage) they are 12, 14 are the boys she told me that you cannot trust them she even told me that one time to not ever leave my girls 5 and 2.5 alone with him because she doesn't trust him that is the 14 year old. The other one is 16 girl I guess she is ok to trust, but sometimes she acts like she isn't all there (like no affence, but like blone heads do lol). They are watching her kids which are 9 and 7 a boy and a girl then they have a 18 month old boy that is the both of theirs. Isn't that to young to keep incharge? Maybe not, but I know my mom would never alow me overnight at that age lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well..there are several teens over there..I guess it would depend on the maturity level of the one(s) left in charge. I do think that is quite a lot of children to leave alone together..at the same time..especially with an 18 month old to care for on top of it.
    We have a 17yr old,15 yr old,14 yr old,10 yr old and a 17 month old..would I leave them alone overnight together..probably not..but thats because the older ones fight,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• In most states the legal age requirement is 17 or 18.

Here in PA you are not permitted to leave a child home overnight until 17. However, if they are babysitting or something that age lowers to 16... It's complicated, You should check with your state in order to make sure you know the legal limits...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Depends on where you live, what state or city you live in. They all have different laws about that. 16 is old enought to watch kids I think.

Answer by louise2 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Sabrina that is nuts, even in the military 15 is the age you can babysit overnight, with babysitting classes! They are old enough!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would hope in this situation the neighbors would get over there and help out. The man is in the hospital and the wife needs support. Maybe you could organize your block, neighborhood or church to give this family the love and support they need.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would think 16 is ok.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think it depends in what state you live in.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010