What is the difference between th Epidural you get when you have a Norm birth and the one you get when you have a c-section?

And how may women vomit or feel sick during a csection

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• nothing I believe they are the same. MAybe 1 is more stronger then the other
    Kristin0312

Answer by Kristin0312 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Placement. One numbs you from the waist down,the other from the chest down.
    The nausea thing is hard to say. You never know how you'll react to anesthesia until you get one.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When you have a c-section you get a spinal which is meds that goes right into your spine. I had an epidural which you have meds going in every 15-20 minutes I had an epidural with my son but i has a spinal with my daughter and I didn't have a c-section you can choose in the hospitals in my area.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yeah, I'm pretty sure the epidural itself is identical. But it is the placement on your back that makes the difference, and thus, the nerves it affects is different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I had a Epidurl before and I felt fine....I am having a csection and i wanted to know if its the same....Because then I had no reaction
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 1:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• What butterfly19 said, I never had a C-Section and I didn't get the epidural ao I am not sure about the nausea.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Nothing. I had a epidural for C-Section and it was from the waist down too. And, honestly vomiting or feeling sick would be more likely caused by the anesthesia than a C-section, and the reaction to that varies from person to person.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• oops the spinal numbs you from the chest down the epidual is from the waist down.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I had both. I think the placement is the answer. I was numb from the chest down with my c-sections. I didn't feel nauseous. You can't feel anything at all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• usually they do a spinal for a c-section and a epidural for labor. the spinal doesn't last for long, so that is why they prefer it for c-sections. an epidural is essentially a catheter they can put more medicine into, which is good if you're in labor since it will probably be hours and hours. they both do the same thing...... numb you from the waist down (butterflyblue, they don't numb you from the chest down..... if the block is up that far you're in trouble bc you would not be able to breathe. they would have to put you under general if the block migrates up that far so that they could intubate you.) sometimes if the anesthesiologist is not doing a good job of stabilizing your blood pressure you can feel sick if it gets too low. that happened to me during my second c-section. i know alot about this stuff bc my hubby is an anesthesiologist lmao

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010