Do you support the Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010?

This bill covers makeup and personal care products (lotions, soaps, baby wipes, etc.).

Current law requires a company to post a warning on any product whose safety has not been substantiated. But the law does not define safety or require that companies document their (highly variable) decisions on what is safe enough to sell. The 2010 Safe Cosmetics Bill, opposed by industry groups and conservatives, aims to strengthen regulations and increase transparency.

If you don't support this particular legislation, what (if anything) do you think needs to be changed?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 1:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The cosmetics industry creates its own regulations then decides whether or not to follow them. Although the bill isn't perfect, I do think something needs to be done about it. Reform is needed. Over the past few days I've read a lot of smaller companies (those who already make safe cosmetics) coming out in opposition to the bill stating that it will shut them down because of costs and that the bill is overreaching. I'm torn on the issue, because I do believe in honest labeling and full disclosure.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If it doesn't define safety and requires no documentation of compliance than it's useless. Producers will put a sticker on products that says "safe". Big whoop.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I am a supporter of common sense. Educate yourself and KNOW what is in the products you use and consume. Buyer beware. In the era of google and 'at the ready information'~ if consumers don't 100% know what is in the products they use and consume, they shouldn't be buying it. If they don't buy it, companies won't produce crap. COMMON SENSE applications in the real world... Hrmmm, who would have thought....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• barefoot, my point is... I am happy with my OWN choices. I avoid buying products on a whim, so I don't whip out my cell phone. I pretty much know what I am buying when I leave to goto the store. I don't buy Cover Girl, Maybelline, etc. I buy MAC because I am happy with the information I have learned over the years ON MY OWN... I don't rely on the government to determine what is best for me. If I can't understand the ingredients, I don't buy it. My parents are organic farmers who makes her own lotions. My sister in law is an aromatherapists who has trained in Europe and Asia. Between them, the companies, and various websites~ I am satisfied with the information I have collected. I have also used the books, "The Beauty Bible", and "A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients". I am happy that I have taken the time to gain some knowledge and NOT rely on a government agency. MY CHOICE. I feel the same about food/grocery.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• barefootbooks

Comment by barefootbooks (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Oh for petes sake. Funny, I've never seen a warning on any of that stuff except maybe to say DO NOT EAT!
    I am not for it. There is nothing that is dangerous to humans in make-up, soaps or even baby items. People are not dropping dead or even gettting sick from these items. It's Obamas wish to be able to control EVERYTHING we use and do. UGH.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Really??? Idocracy in it's finest
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The EXISTING law does not define safety and requires no documentation. It's the new law that aims to change that.

grlygrlz2, do you regularly Google all the ingredients on your products? What have you found?
    barefootbooks

Comment by barefootbooks (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Its actually it is NOT safe for everyone. Like on food it says in big bold letters if something was manufactered in the same place there are nuts. Why can't makeup up hold the same standards. I would not put anything on my skin that I could not eat so I would looove to know what is in makeup(I do not use make up by the way but if they had some that didn't have all those chemicals i would)
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Anyone who thinks these products are just ok to use hasn't been paying attention. I've seen documentation of beavers anal glands used in places that will make you insane, as well as crushed up bugs.f

Some of this stuff is just gross... however, the information is readily available, and if people stop buying the crap, they'll stop making it. Pressure to issue a high quality product should come from the consumer, not the government.

There are even affordable drugstore brands that offer organic lines now. Be smart, read the labels and buy the good stuff.
    Personally, I don't want Nancy Pelosi deciding what's going to work on my skin...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010