Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it legal to hire someone to work on my apartment in this situation?

I live in a rented apartment ok? There is some work that badly needs to be done on the aprtment that is above normal wear and tear that the property management company should be responsible for. (Three doors need to be replaced, the toliet seat replaced, the cupboard door of the linen closet needs to be put back on, a few holes in the wall repaired and a kitchen drawer needs to be put back together) Within the next few weeks my husband and I are going to be getting an unexpected check and will have the money to get these repairs done. Would it be legal to hire someone from our church to come and take care of them for us?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • ask the management company

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • I think so. But do not expect the owner to pay you back. Unless they already said they would. It is on your own dime.

    Answer by louise2 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • The owner should not have to pay us back. Everything that needs to be done is fully our fault.

    Answer by luvsmysonjames at 2:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • You could ask your landlord to be extra-safe, but I don't think what you want to do is illegal. You're just fixing issues that you caused.

    Answer by Scuba at 2:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • I meant to say that the management company shoudl NOT be responsible for! Typo, sorry.

    Answer by luvsmysonjames at 2:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • You probably won't get reimbursed from the property management, i am sure they have thier own guys for that but i don't think it's illegal.

    What does your lease say about repairs?

    Answer by UpSheRises at 2:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • I would run it by the management company if this is your stuff that was damaged by you and your SO. I wouldn't say anything to the mamnagement company and just have this person come and fix these things it sounds to me that it's wear and tear from living there we rent so we fix things as they need to be fixed we never call our landlord to come fix stuff. This is completely legal.

    Answer by raemommy at 2:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • I am honestly not sure what it says.I don't even know where I put it actually.

    Answer by luvsmysonjames at 2:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • If you are responsible for these things that need to be repaired due to normal wear and tear, then there is no reason you can not have them fixed yourself, but make a list of the repairs and keep the receipts... make copies also receipts do fade... but you want proof that you did the work ... oh and DO NOT throw away any of the old parts, either put them in your storage unit or contact the landlord and give them to him ... he is going to need to see the work after wards anyways....

    Answer by gmasboy at 7:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • If you caused the damage then no its not illegal,but if was not your fault let him fix it.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 10:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010