advice from moms who have put a young baby in daycare

My daughter is nine and a half months old. I start school back up in septmeber for nursing and she will be ten and a half months old. I need to put her in daycare for the first time and I am devestated. I already found one so I don't need advice on that. I need advice on how to get through this. I'm so upset that I've been able to spend so much time with her and suddenly its going to be over. School is a lot of time and I'm going to miss her like crazy. I know this is a stupid question but if she sees me a lot less is she going to forget who I am? She's still young.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's young, but she's not an infant. She's old enough that she is really going to interact and play with the other kids there. She will come home with projects and birthday party invitations and popsicle stains. She is going to love playing with the other kids. You'll see. It will be hard on you though. Just think about how much fun she is having. There is no way she will forget you. You will always be mommy, and there is only one mommy. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• nope, she will not forget who you are, I promise. DS has been in child care since he was 12 weeks and knows I'm his mommy. It is actually a good sign if your DD develops a strong bond with her provider, it means they are doing a good job
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Nope, you'll always be her mom.

When you were in kindergarten you did'nt love you teacher the way you love you mom, right? Same thing with babies.

You'll want her to develop a close bond with her caregiver because it will support healthy brain development but no one will ever take your place.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Your child will not forget you at all. I put my DD in daycare at 12 months, and 3.5 years later she's been just fine. She picked up many new skills, and made many new friends in daycare. She has never once forgotten about mommy or daddy. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I put my oldest in daycare at 6 weeks, my middle child in at 9 months. I cried the first day, and called the center to check on them once. After a week or so, I was comfortable with the center and the care they were receiving (I had researched a lot of them, but there's always a doubt at first.) I believe that both of my kids learned quicker because they were in a setting with other kids their age. Our bond didn't change at all - if anything it was better because the time we spent together was even more special to me. Your baby will be ok, mama.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Heck no she won't forget who you are, ma! When you come to pick her up, she will probably squeal with delight and come running to you :) Not because she had a rough day or she doesnt like it where she is..but because your mommy! :)
    It was hard for me when I had to put my 7 week old son in daycare. He was in daycare from 7 weeks till he began kindergarten. I cried. I called daily to check on him at the daycare and I know I drove the workers absolutely nuts,lol.It does get easier over time to leave them there...but in all mom-to-mom honesty...you still miss them like crazy.
    It made the time we did get to spend together all the more special.
    Just take it a day at a time, you both will get through it.Good Luck :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes, my kids were in pt,limited daycare from the age of 6 mos- They are now 23 and 19 and are both healthy, bright, educated, attached yet independent souls. Quality daycare never hurt any kid- GL on your studies- nursing always needs new faces:)

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thank you. Its just killing me, all that time apart. Plus when she is home, I'll be studying a lot. I know its going to take time to get use to but thank you everyone.
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• of course not dear. Your child won't forget you. My son has been going to daycare since he was 6 weeks. It will be hard the first couple weeks but eventually you get used to it, though i will say it will hit you back when ever you miss a first. I missed my sons first words and first steps because i was at work. It's an unfortunate thing but billions of moms have to do it. All you can do is remember that you are doing what is necessary and what is best for your family. Spend as much time as you can with your child when you aren't working and make sure your sitter has a camera or camcorder to record for you what she can. One of the highlights of my day is walking in after work and having my now 4 year old come racing into my arms squeeling "mommy mommy mommy" and telling me about his day in the rapid fire speach of a happy preschooler.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Hey, be glad you got those 10 months. I had to go back to work full time at 5.5 weeks (after a c-sec even). It's rough for both of you, but some things have to happen. I put a lot of effort into making the most of the time we DO get together. Most evenings after work.. she's MINE! To hell with everyone/everything else. It has been very nice when I get home, DH usually picks her up and is home by the time I get there and he almost always brings her out to meet me. I SOOO love that GIANT hug I get as soon as I get out of the car!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010