God and gender...

This are questions for anyone who believes in One God, particularly the God of Abraham...
1. Do you believe that God has a gender. (if yes, then I suppose the other questions do not apply, lol)
2. If God does not have a gender, why do we call him "him" and "Father" etc.
3. If God does not have a gender, would it offend you if someone of the same religion as you called God "Goddess" or "Mother"?

LovePeaceHope

Asked by LovePeaceHope at 2:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i am christian and assumed those who wrote the bible stories call god the father bc the father was the head of the family then. i haven't seen god but i assume he can be whatever he wants to be. comeon.... he was a burning bush lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Anyone should have the right to name their God and I don't believe there is one right way or one correct Bible or religion or denomination. Its too rigid and arrogant to insist that there is only one way to describe God
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My personal thoughts/beliefs.

God does not have a gender. God is the universe, God is a part of everything, God gas no single form much less gender.

I do not call God "him" or "Father" or the like.. God is God, If I'm praying to, speaking a specific aspect of God or specific Avatar I use that name. Or simply use : God, WaheGuru, Bhagwaan, Ek Onkar..etc.

I'm not offended by who are what anyone else wants to or chooses to call God. Their relationship with God is their's, not mine. Everyone's relationship with God is very personal and very individual. The name that a person uses for "God" (because even God is a name) depends on where they are in the world, what religion they practice, their place and time in history. Names differ depending on those things. But the reality that they are all in referance to or mean the one universal being.. Ek Onkar.. The One God.. The names maybe different, the entity is the same.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• God is a spirit..but I think that He refers and prefers to be seen as a "father"...and if you believe the bible in that He created man first...it makes sense because God was here first...before all his other Creation.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yeah, princessbeth79 makes a good point. I so tend to think of God as a father figure, especially since Jesus refers to God as Father and asks us to pray that way. But at the same time God is no limited by Gender, He is not a man at all, only Jesus came down in flesh as a man. There are MANY names in the bible for God, Father is just one of those names touching in one attribute of Him.
    http://ldolphin.org/Names.html These are the names I would refer to God as, because those are the names He is given in the bible.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 1. Do you believe that God has a gender. (if yes, then I suppose the other questions do not apply, lol)

1. Yes he is male.
    I also believe the holy spirit is the Mother Goddess. How ever I still would not be offended if some one called god a Goddess I would just feel they are referring to the holy ghost.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 1: No, G-d has no physical form so He has no gender.
    2. Making it easier. I don't know why in the English language is like that, it's not my first language, but most languages of the world don't have an "it" option. But in original Hebrew G-d has many different names and some are male and some are female. For example, G-d presence on Earth is called "shechinah" which is a female word in Hebrew.
    3. I wouldn't be offended by the idea, however, by now the term "Goddess" is strongly associated with Pagan religions, so I personally wouldn't use it for this reason, not because I think the term is wrong or offensive.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• God does not have a gender. God is the universe, God is a part of everything, God gas no single form much less gender.

I was taught something similiar...My Mom always said it was beyond our conception of what / who God is....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes and No

1. He is the head and in the Jewish culture males were always the head of the household.
    2.No where in the word of God is God called a mother or a goddess. It is not who He is.
    The Holy Spirit has female characteristic meaning gentle, kind and loving like a mother would be but Holy Spirit is a spirit not a gender!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• God is bigger than gender. we are created in the image of God, yet our images are so different from each other. We use he or she because it's easier for our minds to feel a relationship with a gender, but it's good to remember every once in a while that God is bigger than our own understanding and more complete than any one gender.
    highestshelf

Answer by highestshelf at 4:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010