Why does everyone use the reasoning that boys do everything slower than girls?

While it may be true that some or even a lot are slower...that shouldn't be the be all end all answer. Not ALL boys do things slower and there are girls that do things below the curve.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 2:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think that is true at all. My son was academically ahead of his sisters but emotionally a little less mature. And my oldest daughter was more ambitious and athletic than her sister---she was more "boyish" and harder to raise. So, that stereotype about girls being easier to raise than boys? Not true either.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Of course. It's just a general rule, it's different for every child.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• true, but they tend to say it because in general the moajority do!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• in general, there is a noticable difference in boys and girls development mentally and physically. boys really are slower than girls. that doesn't mean every boy and every girl, but for the vast majority that's true.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Because generally girls develop and mature faster than boys. Of course there are exceptions. But it's a generalization that is neither HARMFUL or HELPFULL. It is what it is.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Generally, I don't think that way at all. I do think boys tend to be less emotionally mature than girls the same age. But, I see them as even on about everything else. Maybe, that is because I have a boy though, lol.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• it's just a generalization. out of the kids i know it seems to be true, but not about everything.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• What I mean is, when someone says, "My son is 4 and doesn't want to potty." Someone will reply, "Boys are slower than girls." Uh, well, the vast majority of boys were trained before age 4. Or "My son is 5 and won't give up the bottle." again, "Boy develop slower than girls." I mean really, I can see if we are talking about one year old on the bottle or a just turned 2 trying to potty...
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have a boy and a girl and I can tell ya that they did most developemental type stuff pretty much around the same ages. However, I notice a big difference in the "common sense" area, LOL. My daughter definitley shows signs of having more common sense at her age than my son did.
    Also, I babysit other children...I have a toddler boy I care for that is about 3 months younger than my dd and she did all the developemental stuff at an earlier age than him so far.
    But these have been my own experiences..I don't know about anyone else.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Im pretty sure ive read a few studies on boy vs. girl.. they are very different.. and it is said they should be taught differently too (as in if school seperated boys/girls & taught to how each gender learns better our kids would be doing much better in school) .. they both learn/ pick up skills at different times as well..
    Me & 2 friends (1 had twins) all had kids and they are all within 9mo of each other.. My dd being the youngest & the other 2 are boys.. My dd is pretty much on the same level with them, if not past them.. So in our case I believe girls develop a bit faster..

Even as adults if you put men/woman same age in the same room-- the woman tend to stick out more as being "older" - more mature, more grown up in their ways.. but by this time smarts has alot to do with school years/college. maybe pregnancy..
    Thats why its normal for woman to date older than themself..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010