Can I move my kids out of state ?

So, My ex and I have two kids ages 8 and 22 months. he see's the kids on a regular basis but does not have a job, no income does not pay child support or anything. We have no court order for anything. No support agreement nor custody. I have to move out of thehouse I am in (the house was sold at auction) I was not the owner. I am curently living with my 2 brothers , my SIL, and 2 roomates in order to keep rent down low . Its still about 700 a month. If I move from Ca to AZ I can get a house for the same price that I am paying for a room . Can he tell me I cant move ? Can I just move becuase there is no agreements ? I am not trying to take the kids form him at all. Im just not making it out here on my own and I want my kids to have there own rooms. So please no slamming.

JunoDolly

Asked by JunoDolly at 2:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Call a family lawyer for a free consultation. Laws vary about this kind of thing from state to state and you do NOT want to end with a kidnapping charge for moving kids out of state without their other parent's consent.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• what she said.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I could not find a lawyer that would do a free consultation. They wanted $200 for a consultation. Good luck. How far are you thinking of moving?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yup u should talk to him 1st if he says no.. then take it to court ..scare him that u will put him in child support if he says no..
    My baby daddy doesn't kno I moved 2 hawaii im scared he might find out but he hasn't seen her since she was born ..I hope I dnt get in trouble lol
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would talk to him about it first. It sounds like he is an active role in their lives, so I don't think I could just move them out of state with out discussing it first. If he is aagainst it, talk to a lawyer and as long as it is to better your lfe and the kids I think you can do it.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010