Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can I move my kids out of state ?

So, My ex and I have two kids ages 8 and 22 months. he see's the kids on a regular basis but does not have a job, no income does not pay child support or anything. We have no court order for anything. No support agreement nor custody. I have to move out of thehouse I am in (the house was sold at auction) I was not the owner. I am curently living with my 2 brothers , my SIL, and 2 roomates in order to keep rent down low . Its still about 700 a month. If I move from Ca to AZ I can get a house for the same price that I am paying for a room . Can he tell me I cant move ? Can I just move becuase there is no agreements ? I am not trying to take the kids form him at all. Im just not making it out here on my own and I want my kids to have there own rooms. So please no slamming.

Answer Question

Asked by JunoDolly at 2:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Call a family lawyer for a free consultation. Laws vary about this kind of thing from state to state and you do NOT want to end with a kidnapping charge for moving kids out of state without their other parent's consent.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 2:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • what she said.

    Answer by lovinangels at 2:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • I could not find a lawyer that would do a free consultation. They wanted $200 for a consultation. Good luck. How far are you thinking of moving?

    Answer by tootoobusy at 2:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • Yup u should talk to him 1st if he says no.. then take it to court ..scare him that u will put him in child support if he says no..
    My baby daddy doesn't kno I moved 2 hawaii im scared he might find out but he hasn't seen her since she was born ..I hope I dnt get in trouble lol

    Answer by Leilene07 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • I would talk to him about it first. It sounds like he is an active role in their lives, so I don't think I could just move them out of state with out discussing it first. If he is aagainst it, talk to a lawyer and as long as it is to better your lfe and the kids I think you can do it.

    Answer by KamiB79 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
has anyone got the essure?

Next question overall (Crazy for Credits)
True 1