Cheerleading or soccer??????

My daughter has cheerleaded for 3 years, she has always liked it. She is very sporty, so it wasn't no surprise that she asked me the other day if she could play soccer instead of cheerlead. That would be all fine and dandy with me, but she already has her cheer uniform from last year, cheer shoes, and pompoms. I would only have to pay the registration fee this year, unlike the 3 where she was growing each year. We don't have tons of money to go and buy her a soccer uniform, the shoes, socks, and whatever else goes along with soccer. What should I do? Tell her she can't play and make her cheerlead or do nothing at all, OR just get over it, and figure out a way to pay. I know that ultimately it's down to my husband and I, but your opinions are greatly appreciated!

IWantLotsOfKids

Asked by IWantLotsOfKids at 2:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• How old is she? Is she old enough to babysit and work to get the money for the soccer things? If she is, that's a great life lesson.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Isn't soccer a town recreation sport? Are you sure you have to purchase the uniform? In rec baseball we pay a registration fee and they hand us a uniform. We don't pay for it. I would let her do what she really wants to.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Can you contact the place she is registering for cheerleeding/soccer and see if they might have a program set up to exchange gently used uniforms? Maybe you can trade her cheerleading uniform for a soccer uniform? Or take it to a consignment shope an dhave them sell it and use the money to buy the soccer stuff.
    Hope this helps!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The kids here have to pay for uniforms and all the gear. Its not cheap. There is also a registration fee. But it s a great experience being a team player. Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Great ideas here. If you can at all swing it, I would let her try the soccer. They need to experiment with a variety of things and have different experiences. Best of luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you just don't have it, explain to her why, and ask her if she wants to continue cheerleading for another year.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• She is probably old enough to understand the basic economics of running a family. Maybe work out a deal that she can cheer this year because it's more affordable and as a family you will save up for soccer next season.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• See if there is a consignment shop that you could resell her cheerleading stuff, check with the team and see if an incoming kid would like to buy a used one from you, post a sign at school to see if someone wants to buy or craig's list or amazon. If you can sell (or trade something else that she has at a consignment shop) might help you come up with some of the money.

Also check for used stuff for the soccer stuff http://www.cjkidz.com/sports.html  (it shows new or used) or check with the soccer team to see if anyone has some used stuff to buy.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2010