Would you WANT to know?

I was just reading another question about how far back your memories go and I have actually been thinking about this a lot lately. My memories start from age 13. Before that are only small glimpses and flashes, but they are more like watching a television show about someone else rather than my personal experiences.

I am very high strung and I'm sure it has to do with something that has happened to me, but since I can't remember I can't tell you.

I honestly think my body has blocked my memory in an attempt to forget something or multiple things.

Would you WANT to know what it is that is causing the memory loss or would you rather just leave it be?

I feel like maybe I could improve upon my current life and actions if I knew, but I also am scared to death to ever find out because if it was bad enough in the first place to cause memory blockage then it might not be something I want to know at all EVER.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My memory goes back to about age 4. I remember all kinds of stuff. But I have a good memory anyway. As far as blocking something out, that very well might be due to some type of abuse. If I were you I would not want to know. It could cause a whole lot of emotional problems. Opening up a can of worms if you will. If your mind was not strong enough to handle the abuse then it may not be strong enough to handle it now. Theres a reason you blocked it out. Turst your bodies protective mechanisims. I think I would just go on with my life.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 2:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'd want to know so I could get past it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't have any recollection of my early years, I go back to maybe 9 or 10, but this does not mean there is something bad that I can't remember. We often remember a few things that stand out in our lives, I would just let it be and not look for bad stuff that might not even be there.

Answer by older at 2:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• that is a good question.. i would not want to know but my curiousity always gets the best of me.. i personally would see why i have memory loss but at the same time i would have to be emotionally prepared for what i may find out.. i would have to know i am strong enough to handle what ever it is..
    SHELL28

Answer by SHELL28 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would want to know. Like you said, if you don't remember, you can't possibly work through the issues.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I most definitely would want to know.
    debnich501960

Answer by debnich501960 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would want to know..
    If a certain person that was still in my life could be the reason for these blocks.. Id want to know so i could protect my kids & loved ones from them..
    And Im just not good at "not knowing things" ... I must know!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have memories of when I was about 3, walking in our neighborhood with my Mom and my brother,just when the snow had melted and it was almost spring. Good memory. I only have a few unhappy memories and it was about my third grade teacher who made fun of me in class and picked on me. As a result, I was very shy ....and never really trusted teachers. But, my memory about my past is so good and my childhood was great. Nice family, nice friends. Thank God.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• oh memigen so sorry to hear that... i would start getting therapy to get through the pain.. hugs mama!!
    SHELL28

Answer by SHELL28 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Oh, and YES I would want to know if there was something bad in my past so I could understand and get past it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010