good flat iron?

I have thick, coarse hair and am looking for a good flat iron. Seems the ones I try don't clamp down tight enough.

I don't want to spend a ton of money (am looking for something way less than $50!) Surely there's something out there. I wish they were on display at the stores (like the dryers are).

Suggestions, anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I will bump you. I would like to know of one too.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I was going to suggest a CHI by Farouk Systems, till I saw your price range :-) A CHI is about $125, but I honestly couldn't live life without it! Its the best! GL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Jibere makes wonderful ceramic flat irons. Sally Beauty carries them, and they're only around $40. I have two different sizes, and one of them is about seven years old. They work great to smooth out the hair and they are very well made.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have a revlon and its red. It has a comb on the side too so it combs through your hair before the straightener goes through. I have super thick wavy hair and it works awesome. I got it for 20$ at walmart.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Sure, you could go with the Hot Tools brand. It is a good brand for the money and you will find it in lots of salons. Currently, they carry that brand in Trade Secrets, Beauty First and any other Premier Salon, possibly Sally's.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have long, super thick hair with a slight wave to it and the ONLY flat iron that works on my mane is a CHI. I bought mine off of Ebay for $40.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• there are plenty you can get for pretty cheap.. CHI is a good brand.. I got my flat iron while I was in beauty school as a gift, so I couldn't tell you the price, and I don't remember the brand (it was on the box, not the flat iron itself).. ceramic ones are better IMO..

also be sure to get one with a heat setting.. mine goes from 1-25.. I believe 25 being 450*.. which is ideal for REALLY curly course hair..
    a nice thermal protectant straighting gel helps as weell.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Catch a maxi glide on sale. It is wonderful and works wonders on my natural hair.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 9:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010