I had my dog neutered... why is he acting like this?

Ok, so we got one of our pitties neutered on Friday. He's one year old, and prior to his neutering, he DID knock up one of the other dogs (accidental breeding, long story). Anyway, she's due in a few days and we have other dogs (male and female)...

Since he came home from the vet, he has done NOTHING but hump the prego dog. He won't leave her alone! Why? Is it bc he got fixed? If so, why just the prego dog? Is it her, with strange "I'm going into labor soon" hormones? WHY?

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pets

• I am a vet tech and yes she is giving off a lot of hormones as she gets ready to whelp. Also neutering takes time to sink in. The hormones in his body are still stirred up. For the welfare of the dam, keep him away. It can cause her to not go into labor as well as cause a fight that could end up hurting both of them and you. She needs a quiet place to nest, a box with pig rails or kidde pool and to be left alone.
    doll2660

Answer by doll2660 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Your dog might consider to hump - on rare occasions neutered and spayed pets might actually be able to achieve intercourse (without the end result of a pregnancy of course)
    You waited a long while to neuter him.. its a hard habit to break.
    Also dogs hump one another out of a sign of dominance as well.
    but this is probably just a case of pregnancy hormones driving a man wild
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 9:13 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• She is probably letting off some sort of hormone that makes him want it. Don't forget - just because he's neutered, doesn't mean he can't get it up! He just can't procreate. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I totally agree with doll :)
    BornToRun84

Answer by BornToRun84 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Neutering will stop his desire to hump in response to hormones, but it does take a little bit of time. The testicles are gone, but the hormones they produced and released into the body before their removal are still coursing through your male dog. It may take a week or so for the hormone levels to decrease and disappear. As a result, the particular smells and pheromones of your expectant dam is quite likely making him crazy since he still has hormones on the brain, so to speak. Try to separate them to keep her safe from him and him safe from her. He will eventually stop this behavior, it just takes a bit of time.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Just because he's neutered doesn't mean he stopped being a male dog.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have a male dog that has been neutered now for 6 yrs and he has his little blanket "which I call his wife" that he will hump on...He never lost interest in that and you dont come between him and his wife...lol...I guess you can say a male is a male ...they all like to hump...lol
    prbails

Answer by prbails at 10:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2010