My 4 yr old has a UTI! Anybody else's little one had one?

I have never heard of a child having one of these. She has complained all summer of itching & burning but her urine never showed as a UTI so they treated her for yeast. She went yesturday for a check up and had a UTI. She keeps having to go but hasn't complained of burning. What causes these in little ones? My Dr. told me sex was one reason women get them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• It can be caused by a number fo things. My oldest daughter got one and they didn't really have any reasoning for it. They gave her meds and she was better. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• A lot of the reason that women, or little girls, get UTI is when fecal matter gets introduced to the vaginal area. So, if she wiped back to front on accident, that could easily cause it.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 2:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• bubble baths can also introduce bacteria into the vagina! Or even if your dd touched her vagina with dirty hands...

My dd had one about a month ago.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughter 8, has had 2 really bad UTI. So bad they landed her in the ER. The last one she had it took a CT scan to confirm that it was/is a UTI. We are now seeing a pediatric urologist and she's going to be having some more testing done at the children's hospital. They think that perhaps she has kidney reflex. (Were her urine is leaving her bladder and going back up into her kidneys). We already know that it has caused damage, infectious tissue in her left kidney. Not saying all of this to scare you...however kids can get UTI for VARIOUS of reasons..some of it can be as simple as poor hygiene. The first UTI she had there was burning. This last one the one that took a CT scan to find, had no burning, no significant trace in her urine, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My 6 year old has had 5 or 6 utis. She has kidney reflux and sees a urologist
    ashleys2girls

Answer by ashleys2girls at 5:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• They can have one at any age I think. I haven't had to deal with this myself though.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2010