What can I do if my 18 year wont do chores around the house?

My 18 is lazy and a smart mouth and is always lieing. So what can I do to make his attitude and laziness and mouth stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Has he graduated yet? If he feels like he's an adult and can make his own choices, then it's time for him to move out.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You can start charging him rent for his room and board. Either that or give him an ultimatum. Tell him either he starts doing his part in the home or he can find his own way and move out. When I turned 18, I was still in HS, but as soon as school was out, I was required to have a job and help out around the house (without complaint) which included babysitting on occasion my younger siblings. My only other option was to move out or start paying rent. I chose to willingly participate in the family duties along with working a full time job until the Fall when I left for school.

Anonymous

• If he is out of school and not going to college...doesn't want to pull his weight around the home front then maybe it is time for the real world. Mine even while in school/college had things they had to do...part of life. Even if he has a job....we work but still do daily life chores.
    Deb128

Answer by Deb128 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Take ALL privileges away. No friends, no tv, no phone, no sports (which will be a toughie if he is really good and colleges are looking at him), no video games, no car, no allowance. If he works, find out his schedule and tell him that either you take him, or he gets a ride! Yeah, that'll suck for you, but he may start minding his manners. Also, more personal, is Dad involved? If so, get him MORE involved. Make sure he knows what is going on with your son. If not, no biggie! This tactic may seem REALLY childish, but if he's gonna act like he's 9, than, he can be treated like it too!
    daisies7997

Answer by daisies7997 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If he's an adult you can't really tell him what to do...

But what you can do is stop doing it for him. Don't do his laundry, don't cook for him, don't do HIS dishes, don't clean HIS room. Just stop doing everything for him. He'll HAVE to do it himself or do without.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 2:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• charge him rent, let him work it off with chores. and every time he lies or disrespects you, add 10% to it.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Well for one quit doing everything for him like laundry picking up after him. Either charge him rent or tell him he needs to find some where else to live. As long as he is under your roof then he has to follow your rules adult or not.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Kick him out, or starting charging for his room and board.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 3:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• open the door and put his stuff out if he wants back in then he needs to follow your rules or go live somewhere else....it's called tough love.
    justgg

Answer by justgg at 4:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Tell her to move out and pay her own way while she still knows everything
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 5:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2008