when did u start a sippy cup?

my daughter is 6 months old! is it to early? im sure it is but my MIL is pushing it! just wanted to know when u started?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started it about 7 months because I nursed and didn't want to give other liquids in a bottle. Mine all went from breast to sippy. You can start now, chances are that she won't really hold it or do anything but play with it, but sometimes it is just easier to appease the MIL on a small issue that won't harm your baby. And stick to your guns on the bigger stuff.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 6 or 7 months. I introduced then. It took a bit to get it though. As soon as they can sit up, they can learn to use it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 6 months is a good time to introduce it, but it will most likely be used as a toy for now, which isnt bad.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• im EP so can i put my breast milk in it or water? or watered down juice??
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yeah..breast milk is fine in it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• With my oldest at 11 months. I still haven't gotten my youngest (13 months) to take one though.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would just put breastmilk in it. You can do water, but I would not do juice. It is nothing but sugar water and until a year breastmilk or formula is what is needed for the nutrients.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I started letting my son play with it at 9 months, then gradually he figured out how to work it...by about 11 months he used it correctly when sitting and eating in the high chair. Then at 12 months I gave him the sippy only and it worked out fine.
    RJsMom116

Answer by RJsMom116 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I started around 6mos. I just put a little bit of water in it and let her play with it for about 30 min a day. She's getting a lot better at it and for the most part, can pick it up and take a drink now
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I started at 4 months with water in it. My son is now 9 months.
    excitedmommy22

Answer by excitedmommy22 at 7:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010