did you hear about this.. Burka....

Israeli rabbis clamp down on burka
Israeli rabbis are to clamp down on the growing number of devout Jewish women wearing the burka by declaring the garment an item of sexual deviancy.

cont'd below

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 3:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is just ridiculous. A burka a sexual deviation? Maybe by someone with that kind of mind. I guess now they add that to the fight against in other countries. subhan allah
    erin7420

Answer by erin7420 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I understand why they are saying this. A woman wearing a burka in an area where they are not common will draw attention to herself, which is sort of the opposite point of the burka, isn't it? A burka could be construed to be implying "Don't you wonder what the woman under here is hiding from you?" And that could stir thoughts of a sexual nature.

There are a couple of 'could's in my theory, so take it as you will. And I'm not saying I completely agree with it, just that I understand it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Israeli rabbis clamp down on burka

By Adrian Blomfield in Jerusalem
    Published: 6:40PM BST 30 Jul 2010
    Israeli rabbis clamp down on burka
    The move was prompted by the husbands of some burka-wearing women Photo: Tim Whitby / Alamy

At the insistence of the husbands of some burka-wearing women, a leading rabbinical authority is to issue an edict declaring burka wearing a sexual fetish that is as promiscuous as wearing too little.

A small group of ultra-orthodox Jews in the town of Beit Shemesh chose to don the burka, usually associated with women in repressive Islamist regimes, three years ago in a bid to protect their modesty.

Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Since then, the habit has spread to five other Israeli towns causing alarm among ultra-orthodox religious leaders who once saw it as a relatively harmless eccentricity – even though the number of Jewish burka wearers is not thought to be more than a few hundred.
    Aasiyah

• “There is a real danger that by exaggerating, you are doing the opposite of what is intended [resulting in] severe transgressions in sexual matters,” Shlomo Pappenheim, a member of the rabbinical authority preparing to make the edict, was quoted as saying.

Ultra-Orthodox women are required to dress conservatively and keep their heads covered with a scarf, hat or wig when in public.
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• But even that was not enough for some, who insisted that only by covering their faces and wearing multiple layers of clothes to hide the shape of their bodies can they really be chaste.

"At first, I just wore a wig," one burka-wearing woman told the Haaretz newspaper. "Now when I see a woman with a wig, I pray to God to forgive her for wearing that thing on her head."
    Aasiyah

• Since donning the burka, the woman said she had been taunted by neighbours who called her a "smelly Arab" and that Israeli soldiers had asked to see her identification papers to prove she was not a Muslim. They backed down, she said, when she showed them that her children were clearly Jewish.

The trend has also caused tensions in family life. One man went to a rabbinical court in an attempt to get a ruling to force his wife to stop wearing the burka.

The plan backfired, however. The court ruled that that woman's behaviour was so "extreme" that it ordered the couple to undergo an immediate religious divorce.
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• erin.. it's called reversed psychology. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.. unbelievable.
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• That is a bizarre story. I had not heard about that.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• **Shakes Head**

Really, that's all I got...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2010