What is a sukkah?

Jewish people building huts outside their homes and living in them? What's up with that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hadn't even heard of a sukkah, but it sounded interesting, so I looked it up, and this is what I found:
    "a booth or hut roofed with branches, built against or near a house or synagogue and used during the Jewish festival of Sukkoth as a temporary dining or living area."
    Maybe someone else could help shed a little more light on the subject. :)
    BabyBumbleBee

Answer by BabyBumbleBee at 5:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• a sukkah is a traditional "house" mad up of branches and leaves. Jews eat in it during the holiday of sukkot. it is a temporary house.
    Anonymous

• Where?
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 2:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• It's for the holiday of Sukkot. We build huts(sort of) and live in them for 7 days. It's in the bible.
    The festival of Sukkot is instituted in Leviticus 23:33 et seq. No work is permitted on the first and second days of the holiday. (See Extra Day of Holidays for an explanation of why the Bible says one day but we observe two). Work is permitted on the remaining days. These intermediate days on which work is permitted are referred to as Chol Ha-Mo'ed, as are the intermediate days of Passover.

In honor of the holiday's historical significance, we are commanded to dwell in temporary shelters, as our ancestors did in the wilderness. The temporary shelter is referred to as a sukkah (which is the singular form of the plural word "sukkot"). Like the word sukkot, it can be pronounced like Sue-KAH, or to rhyme with Book-a.

yael375

Answer by yael375 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I love my sukkah.
    We just finished building it on our deck. The walls are made of lattice and the roof of woven bamboo mats. We wove ivy through the lattice and the kids made pictures to hang inside. We will have a table and chairs in it and when the holiday starts, Monday night, we will have dinner guests. We will sit outside and eat, sing, eat, discuss torah, and eat some more. We'll spend as much time as possible in our sukkah over the next week. I can't wait!
    MnMmom

Answer by MnMmom at 3:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2008