How can I get my 6-year-old to stop fighting me about the clothes she wears?

I let her help me pick out clothes when we go shopping, or have her keep only the things she likes when we rifle through hand-me-downs. I can't let her pick out her own outfit before school because she always clashes HORRIBLY. Green patterned shirt with pink patterned shorts and tan winter boots. I can't say "Ok," and let her go to school like that, because that's what my parents did, and I never recovered, socially. ANY ideas?

BigMommaJesca

Asked by BigMommaJesca at 2:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe try picking out 2 outfits the night before and tell her she can wear one of these two in the morning - it gives her some choice, but keeps you in the control booth too. And for the most part, kids will survive bad clothes periods in their life. My boys have gone through just about every trend imaginable over the past 21 years. And girls will become concious much earlier as to how they look. Be sure to really praise her good choices and tell her how cute she looks.
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 2:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I was this way, you have to pick and choose your battles. What my mother did was make several outfits every day, about five, and let me pick which one I liked best. That way I felt like I was making the choice, but they were all choices that SHE found acceptable.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 2:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my girl was this way too. we would pick out 5 outfits on sunday. then she got to chose each day which she would wear.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I let my daughters mix and match three tops with three bottoms OR I chose three seperate outfits and let them choose from one of those. I have gone through this phase with each one on different occasions, and this compromise really worked for me.

Of course, we have yet to enter the dreaded teen years... joy, rapture.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 2:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If it were me I would let her make her own choices. I would rather her blunder through some silly outfits when she's younger rather than waiting until she's older to make her mistakes. 6 year old's don't care as much that someone is wearing a green striped shirt with pink polka dot pants as the older kids do. If you don't let her express her self with her clothing when she's young, when will you start?
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I have all jeans and jean shorts for my daughter for school. She has sweats and cloth pants and flannel pants, but I tell her those are for the weekends, not school. That way she can always pick what she wants and never clashes. Everything goes with jeans!! And they are comfortable!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• yep, concensus is narrow down the field, then let her chose.
    maybe on the weekends you should let her dress herself, as a freedom time.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I guide my children's choices in aquiring clothes so they don't have anything inappropriate. I let them wear what they want as long as it is seasonal attire.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• This is a normal phase. My 6 year old daughter is going through the same thing. You can sort her clothes in zip locks. Then she can pick which zip lock bag full she wears. Another idea is to pick out two out fits and say do you want a or b. Do this the night before school. This way if there is an argument there isn't a time crunch.
    Rebeccalynn_dj

Answer by Rebeccalynn_dj at 2:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I think the above suggestions are good, but my mom also made remarks about what things go together, just as a part of our conversations. If I tried to choose an outfit that clashed due to color choice or pattern mixing, she would give reasons why I need to pick a new shirt to go with the skirt, or whatever. Will she ever listen to concrete reasons?
    texann

Answer by texann at 3:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2008