What questions to ask on first date.

Wow ladies...I haven't dated in over 7 years (going through a divorce, marriage went south a while ago.) and am ready to start dating. I think I've forgotten how...lol. Help me with some questions to ask. I know what topics to avoid.

And yes...I know to be myself and let him do most the asking, but I don't want a lot of awkward silent moments between us on the first date. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• What do you do for a living?
    What are your plans for the future?
    What are your hopes and dreams?
    Where/how did you grow up?
    How many siblings do you you have?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Be yourself.Ask him about his family,where he grew up at,what he likes to do.If you are a spontaneous person,naturally you'd like him to be.Tents or motels?Caught fresh fish or sushi?Things like that.Hope that helps! : )
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 4:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't automatically get TOO personal on a first date, but I like to ask what they do on weekends and after work. Should things work out, you will naturally be included in those things (or be competing with them), and that's an easy way to find something out about them. Then ask more specific questions about those things. Don't forget to include your own input on those, either. You don't both have to be fans of recreational cement mixing for you have to have something to contribute on the subject. :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 5:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• As long as you don't get too personal, you'll be fine. Let him lead the conversation, if he says something about his family, ask more questions. Don't just sit and talk about yourself (it's easy to do!!) for everything you give him ask him a question about him. Some guys get funny talking about work cuz they think you are just looking to see how much money they make, so unless he brings it up, I'd avoid. Oh, and NEVER mention anything about your ex or your situation!! If he knows what's going on and asks questions about it, answer with very simple answers to avoid that topic for now!

Good luck momma and HAVE FUN!!!! :)
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• try to find out what he has in common with you... if you like camping, see what kind of outdoor stuff he likes to do. if you like reading, find out what he likes to read. find out what makes him tick - his hobbies and interests. find out why he is single and interested in dating now (in a very nonintrusive way). find out what makes him laugh - this tells alot about people. ask about his family.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• "How many life-size silicone sex dolls do you own?"
    "How many hours a week do you play World of Warcraft?"
    "How many dishes are in your sink right this second?"
    "Do you own a vacuum cleaner?"
    "Cat, dog or ferret person?"
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2010