Is an ice cream maker worth it?

I want to buy one and make homemade ice cream but I am just wondering if it is worth it? And how much did you spend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I'm to lazy to make ice cream so I just pick up a pint at the store :)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Guess it depends on how much icecream you're going to be eating...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes. You can make any flavor ice cream you want. Only thing is you can only make it in small amounts at a time depending on the machine you have.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We love homemade ice cream, so for us having our own ice cream maker was a good investment. I like being able to make to make ice cream whenever we want and I like knowing exactly what is in my ice cream (big issue here w/food allergies in the family). I don't have a separate ice cream maker, though, I just make it with my Vitamix.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My machine was bought as a gift, so no idea as far as price goes but I don't think they're more than $30 or so. The cost really comes in when you're buying ingredients, it can easily be more expensive for the same amount. The taste is so much better though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I spent $50 on mine, and I love it. We don't have ice cream often, but when we do I like it to be natural. I think it tastes a lot better too! There's no cost savings really, btw.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I know I would never use it. I don't need anything taking up more space.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I recieved one as a wedding gift a year ago and havent used it yet
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Now, that depends.... I got a "like new" rival ice cream maker at the local thrift store for $2.99. Oh yeah the thing was never used! Down side. The cost of the simple ingredients, make the ice cream about $15.00 a gallon. But you really don't need an ice cream maker. All it does is incorporate air into it as it freezes the ingredients. If you whip the heavy cream into stiff peaks first then mix it into the other ingredients you can freeze it and it will have a great consistency with out the use of any equipment.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010