How can I stop him from trying to bite me?

It's usually me that he's trying to bite me anywhere. He opens his mouth and tries biting my side, my hand, whatever. I want to break him from this habit before it gets worse without having it be too late. I've been saying 'No!" and sitting him on the couch and telling him that it isn't good to bite but it isn't really working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bite him back. It's the only way!
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When he tries to bite you, tell him no, then give him a toy to bite on (like a teething ring or something). It's easy to teach children the proper thing to bite at this age, rather then to just tell them no. His teeth probably hurt and that counter pressure feels nice.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• mean mom here but my last 2 boys were bighters one bit me so hard at the dentists office I cried. I learned the hot sauce trick around 2 they understand ( atleast mine did ) that if you bite you get a dab of hot sauce on the tongue. They would about to bite me and I would say hotsauce they would stop.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Bite him back ;)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When he goes to bite, Yell "No" Really, Really loud. Shock/scare him out of the behavior. Then leave him alone in the room. Just walk out. He will learn that it's a scare & he will be left alone as a result. It's a phase that passes quick, at least it did with us. Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• when he bites, Let out a really loud OUCH . then pretend you are crying and tell him he hurt you by biteing you. and get him too kiss it better and say he is sorry!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 4:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son went through a short lived biting phase too. He was almost 2.
    & as a couple other women have said, I too bit my son back.
    Biting hurts!! I bit my son back just the ONE time, and he has not bit anyone since.
    Ellie19

Answer by Ellie19 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010