How can I stop him from throwing things?

Everything he grabs usually ends up being thrown these days. He even tries to throw things at us thinking we will catch them. My grandma taught him how to throw a ball and now he thinks he can throw everything. I need to break him from this. It's beginning to be a hazard. lol

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take whatever he throws away and "throw it in the garbage." Put them in a garbage bag and tell him that every toy he throws will go in the garbage and soon he will have none. When he stops, gradually give him the toys back, but don't let him see that you didn't actually throw them away.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Take away and hide everything he throws. Say, "if you throw it., it goes bye-bye." After the first few fits, he will learn. :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You can tell him that he's only allowed to throw balls and soft things. If he's unable to understand that, then I guess just keep everything but balls and soft things out of reach for now :)
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ha ha, i had that problem too cause of grandma....i told grandma to stop showing her how to throw things, and then whenever she would throw something i would take it and get down to her level and tell her that she is not aloud to throw things. And then i would put the toy up out of reach!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 4:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think I would buy one of those nerf balls that are good for tossing around in the house because they are soft and won't harm anything. If you bring something like that into the picture maybe he will be more inclined to forget about the other things. It's obvious he likes throwing but his energies need to be redirected into a positive way.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010