nursing a 3 week old

How often should I be nursing my 3 week old? Right now he seems to want to eat every hour and a half. Is that normal?

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 3:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's how my Dd was.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• He might be going through a growth spurt. If he's hungry, I'd say it's normal, unless when he nurses, it's only for a short time and that' why he nurses so often. But most likely a growth spurt. Good luck mama! This will get easier soon enough!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• yep, his first growth spurt
    it should only last a few days
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yep normal. There will be times when they want to nurse every 40 minutes or so. Never let someone tell you that you aren't producing enough.

When they start nursing more frequently, they are prompting your body to produce more for a growth spurt.
    3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and so on...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yep, just feed him on demand.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• That's normal for him right now and he will gradually work himself up to going longer between feedings. You're doing great!! Enjoy that precious baby.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well it depends on the baby. As long as he is eating, I see no problem with it, but must be tiring for you. Most babies usually feed every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Each baby is individual. When does he sleep? My babies usually slept and ate every 3 hours or so, then back to sleep. As long as he is feeling OK and gaining weight normally.

You may want to keep a log and show it to your ped next time you see or talk to him/her.
    If you are really worried, call you pediatrician.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yep, that's normal. He'll slow down, I promise. Just keep nursing him as often as he wants it!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• He calls the shots. If that how often he wants it, then that's what you have to do. I remember some days nursing all day continuosly. Don't worry, it gets better!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If he just started doing this then it sounds like the first growth spurt and it is very normal. If it has been going on from the beginning then you need to start counting wet/dirty diapers and watching his weight gain. Keep a log because it may seem like he is eating constantly, but he really isn't too. Keep up the good work of giving that little guy your precious liquid gold. it does get better, but growth spurts are hard, but it does get easier. I have nursed 2 kiddos (one for 18 months and one for 35 months) and it gets easier as they get older. Not having to worry about having enough formula when we went out or clean bottles etc. was so nice. I always had the perfect amount of food at the perfect temperature whenever and where ever we were.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010