eight month old keeps biting...

How do i get her to stop? She is only eight months old, has 8 teeth and uses them a lot, she almost drew blood on me today, I have a huge bruise and do not know how to get it to stop, she thinks it is funny.

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 3:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh I wish I knew what to tell you. Mine is 1 1/2 and he just started biting not long ago. He JUST bit me and made me cry (and I don't cry easily). I hope you can figure it out soon!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 3:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I've been through this with two of my babies. They don't know it hurts, they just think the response is hysterical. Try not to react by flinching or yelling or whatever it is that you do that she finds funny, just say NO, put her down, and walk away. You don't have to walk away for long. Babies catch on pretty quick and it won't take her long to find it not funny. My baby is almost 9 months and just went through this with him.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When she goes to bite you, give her a teething toy and leave her alone for a minute (in eyesight, of course!). Hopefully, she'll get the idea that there are things she can and cannot bite. She is probably teething pretty bad and the pressure feels good to her.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Stay calm, try to anticipate, say no, and redirect her. Do you have any of those thick plastic teething toys you can give her? She is too young to punish...IMO
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Bite her back. It's the only way she will learn that it hurts.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When mine did the biting thing I would give them a stern look, and say "NO. Biting hurts" in a firm tone and then I redirected their attention gave them something they could bite and said "here chew on this instead". Don't make a fuss over it, the more you react the more they will do it to see you react. Be firm and be consistent- do it each time and it should eventually stop. Good luck.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010