NAPTIME????

My daughter is 7 1/2 months. she wakes up at 8am she starts getting grouchy for a nap at around 11am. she'll sleep for about 30 min or so.. then around 3-ish p.m she'll start getting grouchy for a nap then too. anyways! when its time for bed which is at 9 she'll be SO SLEEPY but when i lay her in her crib she all of the sudden WAKES completely up and wanting to play. so i put toys on her crib and let her play then she just cries it out.

ANYWAYS my main question to this is How many naps are good for her age?? one or two?? or is what she doing fine...??

i have heard both:
Keep it to two
and also change to one and move her nap to about 1pm.

i need some advice! Thanks

stephany21

Asked by stephany21 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as many as she needs some kids need more. sounds like she needs two
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• she may still need the two. however all kids are different. try switching it up. try holding off on her morning nap. try waiting until noon or so to lay her down. if u do this she may end up taking a two hour nap which would eliminate her need for a second nap. give it a shot! its worth your sanity lol. and if it doesnt work you can always go back to the two naps. good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• oh and im also asking this because she gets WIDE AWAKE when its bedtime, and im not sure if im just giving her too many naps or what..
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Are you letting her fall asleep while holding her or putting her to bed while she's still awake? I would say, and just my opinion, if she wants to play and you give her toys in her crib she's going to think bedtime = playtime, so it might start a bad habit. I know you are trying to save your sanity but it might cause you more of a problem? I think "they" say babies at that age need around 14 hours. I know some babies don't nap at all and sleep all 14 hours at night and some (like mine) sleep 12 hours at night and 2 hours during the day. It just really depends on the baby, so like the PP said maybe moving her morning nap to an hour later and trying to get her to sleep longer earlier so she will be tired at bed time.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 2:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My son is 9 months, he gets up at around 7, naps at about 9, then usually 2-3 hours later he starts getting sleepy so he takes another one. Depending on how long it is, he sometimes needs a 3rd one around dinner time, but lately he hasn't been taking them. Maybe try putting her to bed at 8 and see if that helps. An overly tired baby can have a harder time getting to sleep than one who is just getting to the sleepy point.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 3:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Here is a good article on baby sleep

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 3:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Thanks!! SO MUCH!! :) :) :)
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• OMG!! My 8-month old is exactly the same way. Except, I'm still breastfeeding and he likes to fall asleep at the breast. So I have to wake him up and try to get him to fall asleep on his own. Which doesn't work very well for me, because I feel horrible letting him cry it out. So I end up rocking him to sleep for his two naps and for bedtime.
    hear_no_evil

Answer by hear_no_evil at 3:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008